• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Media: from one pump to another

Ejack

Hi guys

Just wanted to run this by you pro's to see if it is ok to do.

I've just purchased a new filter (Aquamanta 300EX) which I plan to use in my 100ltr tank once I've rescaped it to replace the Fluval 205 that I currently use. I'm hopong to rescape the tank in a day and add my livestock back to it

As I'm rescaping the entire tank from bottom up (substrate, plants, and rocks) is it ok to take the existing Fuval Biomax and filter pads from the Fluval 205 and just add it to one of the baskets in the Aquamanta? I know that the filter pads aren't the exact same shape and size but would that be enough to colonize and mature the new Aquamanta filter with bacteria? Or will I have to wait a few days before reintroducing the livestock?

Obviously I'd rather not introfduce my fish and shrimp if the ammonia levels will be too high? But would prefer to add them back to tank once the scape has been finished and filled with water. Do you believe that just a few pieces of mature filter media will be enough to produce a bacteria colony in the new filter?

Hi all,
Should be all right, because you are having a complete re-scape it would be worth running another filter for a while, I assume you can't run both the Aquamanta and the Fluval filters simultaneously? if you can just swap some of the media from the Fluval to the Aquamanta, run them for a week or so, and then remove the Fluvl.

I usually run a sponge filter (powered by either an air stone or now usually a powerhead) in all the tanks. It acts as a back-up for the main filtration, and also you can add it any new/re-scaped tank for added filtration until things have stabilised.

cheers Darrel

Hi

Should not be an issue - try to use as much of your old media as possable, I did the same when I change over from my TT1200 to a Eheim 2080, 2/3 rd of the old media from my TT1200 went into the 2080 + 1/3rd of new media - left it for a month then removed 1/3rd of old media and replaced it with new media, another month passed - repeated the same operation - no porblems at all.

Regards
paul.

Thanks for your help and reassurance guys :)

I look forward to startoing my journal on here and sharing my experiences with you all.

Jack

Back