• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boyu vs UP inline CO2 atomizers

Well it started working after leaving it at 3 for about 20 minutes. Today it did the same thing, didnt start working with the pressure set at 2 so I have left it at 3 until it starts. Is this something that happens regularly during the breaking in period and goes away after a while or is something wrong ? It is a bit annoying as I would have to manually start it each day instead of leaving it up to my solenoid.

Mortis said:
Well it started working after leaving it at 3 for about 20 minutes. Today it did the same thing, didnt start working with the pressure set at 2 so I have left it at 3 until it starts. Is this something that happens regularly during the breaking in period and goes away after a while or is something wrong ? It is a bit annoying as I would have to manually start it each day instead of leaving it up to my solenoid.

Something is not right. Mine ran fine from the off.
Could be your gauge reading is somewhat lower than its saying. So the pressure is struggling!!!!!!!!!!
I would leave at as you have done ,and see what happens. After a couple of hours switch off, then on.It may sort its self out.

Eeek ! Managed to do something noobish ! I forgot to put in a check valve ! Water flowed right up to the needle valve. The solenoid is working fine and gas is passing through the tube (felt the gas on my face) so I think the needle valve is OK. Problem is, it isnt creating enough pressure on the 2-3 inches of water that filled in the shorter tube after fitting the check valve in. Have I screwed something up ? (Ive turned it all off now) Will the needle valve and solenoid recover ?

When the gas is off do you guys get water flowing out the CO2 inlet tube ?

Hi Mortis
Put a check valve before the atomiser,this will stop the water getting sucked in to the Co2 line,the chamber should be empty of water when its running properly.Also make sure the check valve arrow is pointing in the Co2 direction,switch on the solenoid to open it.
Sounds like the check valve is in the wrong direction?Or its failed/broken.
Mines is running on 2 bar,and working well.
Regards
hoggie

Hoggies solution is spot on.

Incidentally, last week my co2 tubing popped off my bubble counter [the final bit to the in line diffuser] :woot:
I had expected to find a flooded carpet, however it appears the water only permutates back very slowly, only a small drop kept appearing every now and then.
What a relief.

Its been replaced with top quality tubing,[ i think the original was suspect, plus the 1.8 bar pressure]

My one way valves are placed between the bubble counter and the solenoid.
I actually have two. Last year mine failed, and water entered the Solenoid valve, and cost me £22 to replace.

Cheers

Initially I hadnt fixed a check valve because the pressure made the tubing blow off but after water flowed all the way up to the solenoid, I got some better tubing and put in a check valve. The solenoid is OK but the needle valve was busted so Im getting a replacement tomorrow.
Good to know that backflow with the UP is normal as with glass diffusors and airstones. I just assumed that because of the high pressure needed to run it the membrane would be water impremeable

Hi Mortis/Co2 users
To save your equipment getting damaged again.
Use three check valves.
1 before the regulator and needle valve.(Last chance to stop damage to regulator through back flow of water)
1 before the bubble counter, on the in Co2 line.(stops back flow of water and kicks in C02 quicker)
1 after the solenoid between the atomiser (stops back flow of water and kicks in the C02 quicker)

Three check valves will be more beneficial to planters who have long runs of Co2 tubing.
Regards
hoggie

Heh thanks for the advice but I can only use a single check valve in my system as the regulator, solenoid and needle valve all fit together in one unit. I bought them separately and assembled it together. The CO2 comes out a push connector and goes straight to the diffusor with a check valve in between. I never really got a bubble counter and just used the gas bubbling through the water filled parts of a glass diffusor as a rough guide.

Got my new needle valve and its working fine now. I just need t find the right setting so that I dont end up gassing my fish. Any tips ?

Hi Mortis
I would go with the normal green colour in your drop checker for 4/5days to see how things go.
Also it depends on your stocking level, different species adapt better than others to injected Co2.
Smaller fish cope better Ive noticed whenever the Co2 indicator fluid is registering lime green.
Go easy and you will not have any disasters.
Regards
hoggie

Back