• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Native Moss on rocks (UK)

A

Anonymous

Hi guys just wondering what the deal is with using native mosses found in local streams and rivers in the UK?
Went looking for some stone last night for my new scape and found some beauts with moss covering them. Is there a way of keeping them as they are, or am I going to have to scrub them clean off (Possibly a bleach solution risking killing the moss but annihilating any pathogens..??).
Additionally, has anyone ever used any native mosses from the UK?

P7231435.jpg

P7241455.jpg

Cheers

Hi all,
Willow moss Fontinalis antipyretica is a British native. It doesn't like warm water, and my suspicion would be that is your likely problem with your rocks.

Having said that I'd put the mossy rocks in as they are (just rinse them under the cold tap), I certainly wouldn't worry about introducing anything nasty with them, and personally I keep well away from sodium hypochlorite Bleach.

cheers Darrel

Give them a light wash under water as already said.
As long as they dont have anything obviously dangerous on them they should be fine.
The thing to do with mosses from the uk is just to try it and see what happens, cant do any harm and you might end up with something nice and atractive :D
Ive managed to find stringy moss, ''mini java moss'' and a native liverwort that all stay alive underwater longterm :D

Yeah they were party submerged on the riverbank, but would literally be submerged if it rained. So hopefully it'l work out. My main concern is introducing some foreign pathogens into the tank that will cause a lot of trouble..!?
Is this a real worry, or will the tank take care of itself (I have a UV sterilizer)?

Any coldwater nasties arent likely to survive in tropical temperatures, and if everything in the tank is healthy, any ''pathogens'' wont affect them anyway.

A friedn of mine is obsessed with moss and collects mosses from all over the place to grow on in his tanks - he finds they all adapt well to the increase in water temp and even non aquatic mosses adapt well to being submerged

zoon said:
A friedn of mine is obsessed with moss and collects mosses from all over the place to grow on in his tanks - he finds they all adapt well to the increase in water temp and even non aquatic mosses adapt well to being submerged
I find this true if you majorly OD on liquid carbon, otherwise a large part of my collection will die.

Back