• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Johns first planted journal

mindscape100

Hi Guys,
Well Im finally putting myself in the fire of your heavy scrutiniy....
Ive had a planted tank before this one which I was running on Co2 and relativly high light but I never posted the setup.
The tank is a Fluval Rio 240 With standard hood. The hood at the moment has two 40w T8`s which Ill be boosting with another two 54wT5`s. putting the WPG to around 3.

Filter is Ehiem 2215
Uv light
2kg Co2 canister dispersed via the intake of the filter. (yes I do get the odd anoying burbble of trapped gas!)

Substrate: Well Ive had many thoughts about this but after the recommendations of a few members here Im going with the Akadama as my main surface. But because Im from Yorkshire and therefore tight..... Im laying the main hardscape with grit to create the height to the rear of the tank I want. There will also be a sand bed running through the middle of the tank just to break it up a little. Ive seen one or two designs like that and thought it looks great so....Im going to copy the idea ;)
By the way the draws are off the cabinet because Im going to be strenghtening the unit with some more wood! It slightly bowed with my smaller tank on so I need that straight before I add the quarter of a ton of water!!

Picture.jpg

So here is a pic of the tank with my inital gravel base. You can see how Im wanting to create two "hillsides" in each corner with the one on the left been the main feature on which I have a small piece of bogwood which would have some Java fern attached. I shall keep you all informed any thoughts or ideas along the way would be greatly appreciated as Im fully aware of my newbie status in this field!!

Just thought Id show some pics of my old tank.
As you can see in some of the pics the leafs of the plants have a nice covering of algae. Ithink this is because my Co2 was running a bit low. Also the plants have not been maintained for a while Ive let it go a little from its former glory (Yeah right!!)
The bog wood you see in the pics is what Ill be using in the new setup.
Thanks
Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Its the 48" selection from greenline. But I would probaly replace some of them with a couple of Tropica ones.

Here is what is hoped will arrive in good condition today....fingers crossed!
5 DWARF CHAIN SWORD
2 DWARF SAGITTARIA
10 CARPETING SAG (5CM)
5 GLOSSOSTIGMA ELATINOIDES
2 FOUR LEAF CLOVER
5 MINI HAIRGRASS
MID-GROUND
5 CREEPING JENNY
5 BACOPA MONNIERA
5 TWISTED VALLIS
1 AMAZON SWORD
10 MIXED CRYPTS BEST IN STOCK
5 RED SPECIES
5 MYACCA SPECIES
3 RORRIPPA SPECIES
5 ROTALA INDICA
5 RED AMBULIA
BACKGROUND
5 HYGRO POLYSPERMA
5 CABOMBA CAROLINIANA
5 EGERIA DENSA
5 STRAIGHT VALLIS
5 LUDWIGIA SPECIES
5 WATER WISTERIA
5 GIANT VALLIS
5 BRONZE BACOPA
5 RED LUDWIGIA
SPECIMENS
1 JAVA MOSS
1 WILLOW MOSS
2 LARGE SWORD
3 NYMPHAEA STELLATA BULB

John

Right,

the plants arrived yesterday. What can I say about them, most of the plants in the list were there...I dont think all the species in the list were there! Quality of them...nicely packaged wrapped in paper and sealed in plastic sleves. The plants were not dried out or anything like that. Yes the stem plants were cuttings and had little root formation but I was expecting that. But they did look healthy obviously not to the same quality as what you get with the tropica plants.
So after filling the tank letting the "fog" clear Ive slammed them in the Akadama substrate. Heres some pics, Ive just ot a couple of the platy`s in there at the mo, the other fish will be moving into there new gaff today! And tommorow Ill be taking a trip to my LFS to spend some more!
Ive yet to fit the T5 lights, My gf is going to get me some today which Ill be testing as there a lower wattage to the controller as I cannot fit the 54watt (115cm) under the hood!
I know it looks bare at the mo...just need to get the co2 whacked up and add the flourish to get them going!

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture034.jpg

The plants were £20 including delviery. There were more in the pack and also Elodia which I dont use in the tank (dont like the look of it.) I agree Sam it does need more plants. Im thinking Ill probably infill some areas with a few Tropica specimins.
Cannot believe how fast the tank took to clear though. Oh and after clearing the other tank I found my lone cherry shrimp which I havnt seen for months. Also I had a few Khuli loaches......no idea where they went. Hope there still not burrowed in the sand of the old tank.
Im also going to be putting the old tank up for grabs also, would like to keep it but the lady of the house says one is enough :rolleyes:

Right, time for a quick update:
Ive added the lower wattage T5 lamps and so far there running fine (as far as I can see!)
Ive added the ricca to a piece of slate and that is pearling nicely. Heres some pics just to give an idea of progress so far. Ill send some more shots soon of the overall tank to give more of an idea of how things have gone in a week. They seem to be going well. Exept for the Angel fish which keep trying to attack and eat the amano`s!!

Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Let me know what you think guys.
John

Looks good, your plants seem to be doing well. Have you got a full tank shot?

Nice pearling on the riccia. What camera have you got? If you can change the aperture, try closing it down a bit as you'll get more depth of field and more of it will be in focus (will need more light and/or slower shutter though).

The growth is obvious! and the light is much nicer in the second pic IMO. Is that a lump of cucmber in the front? does this mean you have a pleco or something? be warned he will chomp on your plants as well as the cucumber!! you should also be careful that the cucumber doesnt foul the water, try slicing it and adding a thin slice over night removing it next morning. Two or three times a week should be sufficient. Nice pearling shots! the riccia looks tasty.... er... sorry loveley :) . Well done.

The cucumber is for the planty`s and a flying fox in there. The tanks pretty low on algae at the mo so I thought Id give him a treat. I only put that piece in yesterday and most of its gone!!
Id like a plec but was a little worried about him getting larger and uprooting plants when he moved around.
Thanks for the comments.
John

I may have a look at them. I must admit Ive always liked plecs used to keep them in larger tanks when I was younger. Id probably get one if I manage to convince the other half that a six foot tank with a arowana and a huge plec would look cool...although Im not sure that would happen!!

John

Back