• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shallow - The Future?

This, from an old 120 scape I did, was taken down the side.the furthest rock is probably about 60cm away. it looks so deep.

sideshot.jpg

now having 80cm along the front to play with too, imagine what images you could get from it?.....

Then, Taking side reflections into consideration, image how big a space you could have...or perceive to have. (looks @ wallet, then looks at wife :shh: )

ive got a side view on my 7' probably the primary view as its next to my head when i sit on the sofa i don't think i could scape it im just trying for the jungle look but the depth is nice i think the deeper it gets the harder it becomes

My most recent tank is a 60w x 60d x 37h cm - lush! It's definately the easiest tank I've ever scaped. It has huge potential for emergent plants or hardscape. I think it's quite restrictive on stem plants though-they would look a bit strange due to the lack of height, and they do tend to grow along the surface rather then emerge. This would mean that a jungle style tank would I think be chaotic rather than a purposeful style, Dutch I think would not work, and the 'traditional' style tall background plants with carpet would be difficult to pull off. However-can you imagine an iwagumi with the rocks breaking the surface-it would just introduce another dimension. The tank was quite easy on the purse strings too - £138 a while back. Of course, the cash saved there was spend on more substrate and planting :D. Presents fantastic photographic opportunities for the professionals amongst us. However, having said that, it presents a massive challenge for, shall I say, those whose photography skills can be put into the 'special' category :lol:-I've been trying to get some decent pics of my tank now it's planted (journal update imminent!), and it's just not happening. I'm finding the exposure isn't right and camera is unable to bring everything into focus :thumbdown:. This is definately the most interesting size tank I've ever had I think - simply because there is so much area, that every time you look at it, you see something new somewhere. Is it the way forward? I think it may evolve another style of aquascaping, that's for sure.

It's all about the shallow rimless guys!

I got the idea from this reef tank:

http://www.leonardosreef.com/leonardos-lagoon/

Its 63 x 44 x 14" (mad cool dimensions!) and from the Elos 120XL tanks that are 120 x 80cm wide.

Leonardo by the way is quite groundbreaking with his marine aquascaping. The lights and weir are still not in the league of you guys aesthetically, but I'm sure you will agree his marine tanks look quite different.

The ACS cabinet that my tank is on is awesome. He can come up with some amazing designs and finishes including metal frame with switchable panels - so you can go gloss black for a couple of years and then grey, white, blue, what ever you want after that. No cabinet warping either.

I'm going for acrylic panels in avocado next time.

hi guys, i've seen this tank and it's well cool! I can see me getting one in the not too distant future and at that price it's a steal! For me it would be jungle style with all sorts of stuff popping out of the top.

The cabinet is ultra cool too in piano black, i love the idea of interchangeable panels!

What's the biggest Wabi Kusa that anyone has done? The great thing about these tanks is that the shallower you go, the thinner the glass gets and the cheaper it will be.

Has anyone ever done a 120 x 75 x 15cmH Wabi Kusa, and what size does it have to be before it becomes another type of tank?

Ive wanted to do a 6' x 1.5' x 1' (lwh) Iwagumi for a while now. Just some small bits of seiryu stone scattered about and some rolling 'hills'. Dwarf hairgrass would be the only plant.

The biggest wabi is probably the one I linked which is 9feet long I believe.

Garuf said:
The biggest wabi is probably the one I linked which is 9feet long I believe.
The river in my garden has some nettles and moss growintg on/next to it if that counts? :rolleyes:

Another great idea i could think of would be to make a middle island, maybe eben exposed from the water and to make the tank viewable from 3-4 sides with every side different.

Jeremy said:
what size does it have to be before it becomes another type of tank?
Strictly speaking, Jeremy, a wabi kusa is a brand name for a product sold by ADA, these are basically a ball of substrate with moss and stem plants in it available off the peg, you just add it to a hi-tech tank. The term has now been applied to a more informal sort of set up that's emeresed growth. The planting tends to be more naturalistic and hap-hazard in line with wabi sabi ideology of imperfection and beauty.
So really, unless it was made by ADA it's not a wabi-kusa at all.

Back