• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

180L too much weight for upstairs?

Hi Russ, it should be fine, it is after all a lot less than a bath full of water with a person in.

Hut then again, the area under a bath has a higher number of joists compared to the rest of the house, in my eyes, getting a structural engineer to survey and check is the safest option, if you do decide to go ahead, make sure the tank is over as many joists as possible.

Jack middleton said:
Hut then again, the area under a bath has a higher number of joists compared to the rest of the house,
I didn't know that, cheers! All the pressure is spread over a few poxy little feet though, whereas a tank is spread over the entire footprint? My house was built in 1899 and i had a 240L tank in my bedroom with no issues, the joists ran front to back and the tank ran left to right which is the best way to do it.

1litre=1kilo.

So, even adding in for the weight of the equipment, a 180l is probably less weight than 3 fat people standing next to each other :lol:

I reckon you will be fine :)

I'd put a board down on the floor to spread the weight.... 2 feet could be on joists and the other 2 may not be. keep it tight to the wall to.

you'll be surprised at what ceiling joist can take. no need for engineers IMO

the area under a bath is the same as the rest of the house. you can put a bath where u like. wouldn't worry about the weight to be honest, if you had it spread across the joists not along them you could get away with almost any tank you like.

we are talking about structural bits of timber here at least 8'' x2'' working on site ive seen fork lifts try to snap theses pieces of wood packs of concrete blocks loaded on to them (500kg at least) if you spread the load over 2 joists using a full foot print stand 300l is more than possible if you live in an old hose and have walls upstairs i bet there made of block and quite often there just sitting an a double joist theses are big bits of wood we are talking about not mdf just don't put 1500l in the middle of the room 3 years down the line the plasterboard might crack :)

Back