• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Filter?

dkm

Hi all,

Thinking of getting an extra filter.

My choice is between a Eheim 2080 and a Fluval FX5. Either would be up to the job.

To help me make my decision can anyone let me know the following.

Can the Eheim be run with just one inlet?
Can I use standard 16/22mm hosing on the FX5 instead of the ribbed hosing?

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave

I just meant in case either of the filters you had picked could be improved on for your specific tank.

Well, basically a filter is matched by it's turnover when we're talking filters, therefore a filter rated for say 400l might only turnover 1000lph, in our application you'd want 10 times the tanks WHOLE volume turned over every hour therefore you'd need 4 of the theoretical filters to achieve this, or you could use just one on a 100l tank.

Does that make it clear?

Sorry guys think we had a little misunderstanding.

I already have one filter and a Ecotech Vortech MP20 so circulation is more than adequate. And I know that until now biological filtration has been adequate but now that my stocking levels are higher I need a second filter to boost my biological filtration. Both the Eheim and Fluval will give me what I require but do not want three more outlets/inlets in my tank or the ugly ribbed hosing that comes with the Fluval so just need advice from someone who knows if:

The Eheim 2080 can be run with just one inlet instead of the two that it has (ie block one off)

and

The fluval FX5 can be run using full standard silicon hosing instead of the ribbed stuff that is supplied.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Regards

Dave

Cheers Garuf,

Think that makes my mind up then. FX5 it will be. The bank manager will be pleased!

regards

dave

I noticed on a link to the eheim filters there are specs for pump output and filter circulation. In terms of your 10X total tank litres/hour which of these values are you looking to spec using

Back