• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' THE BIG STRIP

Re: Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' @ 3 weeks

ianho said:
great photos Mark, loving the WCMM.

thanks mate. They've coloured up a treat! all the fish are wonderfully at home in this tank. The most active fish i've owned. maybe the low co2 has something to do with that?.... :geek:

In the 3 weeks it's been running, i've fed heavy from day one. i've not seen a single bit of algae, not cleaned the glass once inside. it's spotless, even more than 'autumn blush'

With all things considered, the next 'fully planted' venture I take on, I may just go down a different route with ferts and co2. :thumbup:

it's a joy to look down the side and see everything wonderfully 'clean'

i've not touched from day one 8)

dan0016.jpg

i've probably missed it,but what ferts are you dosing.

nelson said:
i've probably missed it,but what ferts are you dosing.

1 squirt NPK maybe every 3 days and 1squirt trace. I don't know if it's a right amount. It's trial and error really.

The plants are in nutritious substrate, which I think contain NPK from the previous set up...it soaks up I think?

The plants are easy ones, so I'll see how it goes. My last nano, I ran the same way and had HM and stems busting out the tank. I think I'd be able to do a full planted set up in the same way or at least similar

Those gourami's just show how drab some fish can look in a shop compared to how they can look in optimal conditions. Really great choice there Mark.
So impressed with this tank... Its a great example of how the hobby can go in so many new directions and keep it from becoming stale with following trends. (spiky wood sticking up anyone?)

cheers jay :D really appreciate the feedback.

I'm all packed for a few days in the sun 8)

adiós folks :wave:

Re: Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' after a break

well, after about 9 days on its own, i've finally come back to the tank. the fish were fed twice by mother. lights for 5 hours a day, no co2 (but then there's not anyway) and all is sweet. still clean as a whistle. slow growth, but there is growth none the less.

I'm always excited about seeing a 'scape after a good few days away.

A mixture of emotions from anxiety about whether you'll come back to a disaster, to excitement about seeing how the plants have grown and developed the aquascape.

I look forward to the update photos, Mark. And welcome back. :thumbup:

Nice work Mark. It is so refreshing to see somebody do a layout with more natural stones. In our region the glaciers brought stones from many distant locations, so our streams and rivers are more likely to contain a mixture of different colors and kinds of rocks, but aquascapers never use that kind of material.

And as always those are beautiful pictures too.

Mark Evans said:

Devin, thanks man.

There's not a great deal to report in honesty. growth is slow at best...a bit boring actually.

pictures look almost the same as 2 weeks ago. lillys look nice.

LILLY.jpg

SNAPPY.jpg

A really nice scape, so simply but with a great wow factor. I would to have a scape come out a quarter as good as one of yours than I would be a very happy bunny :oops: :D :clap:
Jon

Hi Mark,

I have to admit I don't find this as exciting as your usual 'just add water' aquascapes :lol: but I appreciate you wanted low maintenance and you're not here to please my eyes 8) Your photography is dramatic and stunning, i love it. I feel that this scape would look better in a 90cm tank as the edges seem very bare to me, but of course that is only my opinion.

RESCAPE!!! 8)

wearsbunnyslippers said:
you make me want to set my camera on fire :(
NeilW said:

it's never the intention :angelic:

Jon1706 said:
A really nice scape, so simply but with a great wow factor. I would to have a scape come out a quarter as good as one of yours than I would be a very happy bunny :oops: :D :clap:
Jon

cheers jon, still learning though. To be honest, it was thrown together out of desperation. not having a tank, between stripping the old one and going on holiday was too much to take.

Jase said:
Hi Mark,

I have to admit I don't find this as exciting as your usual 'just add water' aquascapes :lol: but I appreciate you wanted low maintenance and you're not here to please my eyes 8) Your photography is dramatic and stunning, i love it. I feel that this scape would look better in a 90cm tank as the edges seem very bare to me, but of course that is only my opinion.

RESCAPE!!! 8)

some good points jase. this should of been done in a 90, your right, given a million years or so for it to 'grow in' the borders may look a little better.

Jase said:
RESCAPE!!! 8)

yeah baby, ready for IAPLC 2011...maybe :D

Re: Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' let battle commence

I've added co2 to this and increased the light output to pick things up a bit. It's too slow and I'm itching to get another tank running, but with this taking so long I may be 100 before I get to do another tank.

6 weeks maybe? I don't know. I fear becoming stale if I don't try to advance with aquascaping skills. so much to learn, and really, so little time...this is decreasing time even more. I know where this tank is heading already.

Back