• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Close up Insects not quite macro

John Starkey

Hi All,took these yesterday at a local pond,taken with a canon 70-200mm f/4 L +1x4 extender hand held,one or two were taken with a canon 100mm 2.8 macro non is hand held,hense not real close up macro (forgot my tripod :oops: )
Hope you like them,
regards,
john.

IMG_6771.jpg

IMG_6772.jpg

IMG_6773.jpg

IMG_6768.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6675.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stunning pics as usual John, keep posting 'em.

One of the first sections I look at is Photography, I love it

Glad you liked them and made the effort to say so,
much appreciated ,
Regards,
John.

Hi all,
Lovely photos, I can add a few I.D's. The large green Dragonfly is a female Emperor (Anax imperator) she is laying her eggs. The other brown Dragonfly is a Brown Hawker Aeshna grandis. The Damselfly is a male, he is probably the Common Blue Damsel Enallagma cyathigerum, as he only looks to have 1 thoracic stripe. The Azure Damselfly is also very common, and looks very similar. The Bumblebee is feeding on the Globe Thistle (Echinops ritro), she is a worker of either Bombus terrestris or B. lucorum, probably the former (the yellow stripes are bright yellow in B. terrestris and a bit paler in B. lucorum), but they are difficult to tell apart. Interestingly although we don't have many species of Bumblebee putting a definitive name to many of them (or almost any bee or wasp) is quite difficult.
The white butterfly is a Large White (Pieris brassicae), 2 obvious black spots and a large black wing tip mean that it is a Large White and not a Small White (P. rapi). Green-veined White (P. napi) is the other common one, but it has green markings on the underwings. The flower it is feeding on is Verbena bonarensis.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Lovely photos, I can add a few I.D's. The large green Dragonfly is a female Emperor (Anax imperator) she is laying her eggs. The other brown Dragonfly is a Brown Hawker Aeshna grandis. The Damselfly is a male, he is probably the Common Blue Damsel Enallagma cyathigerum, as he only looks to have 1 thoracic stripe. The Azure Damselfly is also very common, and looks very similar. The Bumblebee is feeding on the Globe Thistle (Echinops ritro), she is a worker of either Bombus terrestris or B. lucorum, probably the former (the yellow stripes are bright yellow in B. terrestris and a bit paler in B. lucorum), but they are difficult to tell apart. Interestingly although we don't have many species of Bumblebee putting a definitive name to many of them (or almost any bee or wasp) is quite difficult.
The white butterfly is a Large White (Pieris brassicae), 2 obvious black spots and a large black wing tip mean that it is a Large White and not a Small White (P. rapi). Green-veined White (P. napi) is the other common one, but it has green markings on the underwings. The flower it is feeding on is Verbena bonarensis.

cheers Darrel

Darrel, the fountain of all knowledge on british flora and fauna. Good work.

John, love the pics mate. Glad to see you got on your belly and got amongst it, more than can be said for me lately. The bee picture for me is the best, i just love the color.

Cheers.

Hi all,
The link on Lisa's post is a good one. The other Bumblebee to look out for in S. Britain is the tree nesting Bombus hypnorum, that has arrived from the continent since about 2000. I saw one yesterday at our allotment on the rapsberry flowers, so they have reached at least Wiltshire, and they are quite distinctive, they are the only black white and buff bumblebee. <http://www.bwars.com/bombus_hypnorum_map.htm>

TREE%20BUMBLEBEE%20Bombus%20hypnorum%20%20TBB%20DSC_0249A%20c%20David%20Element%20Kew%20Gardens%202007.jpg

From <http://www.bwars.com/bombus_hypnorum.htm>

cheers Darrel

Hi,

Having a play with my new 100mm macro over the weekend and got this image of a bumble bee, not sure which type though, maybe Darrel could shed some light on this...

bee_sm.jpg

Back