• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' THE BIG STRIP

Re: Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' let battle commence

My apologies if you have already mentioned this Mark, however....

Because of the lower plant biomass, are you having to do larger/more frequent water changes in order to reduce the undetectable ammonia and organic waste that would otherwise be lower if the tank was heavily planted?
I'm really liking this look. :thumbup:

Fred Dulley said:
ecause of the lower plant biomass, are you having to do larger/more frequent water changes in order to reduce the undetectable ammonia and organic waste that would otherwise be lower if the tank was heavily planted?

cheers fred.

in the 5 or so weeks this has been running, i've done just 1 water change. with such low lighting, i'm not encountering any issues what so ever. everything is as clean as it was from day 1.

boredom is my issue at the moment. I'd like to do a 'fully planted' tank but with the ethics and regimes from this tank.

Mark Evans said:
i'm not encountering any issues what so ever.

ahh, look folks, I'm a liar!

i've noticed some diatoms on the top of the stone to the right. i think i need an algae crew

diatoms.jpg

Mark Evans said:
Mark Evans said:
i'm not encountering any issues what so ever.

ahh, look folks, I'm a liar!

i've noticed some diatoms on the top of the stone to the right. i think i need an algae crew

diatoms.jpg

you can also blur the photos a bit to hide the algae :p

i can't believe how you can make these kind of photos. they are so sharp and clear and great colors :thumbup:
can't you give a workshop: taking great photos? :p

Paulus said:
can't you give a workshop: taking great photos? :p

that'd take a lot work mate and to be honest, I'm not sure it'd get viewed by most :thumbup:

for this shot i just used the camera and a lens...no tripod or anything :lol:

I did though, calibrate my focusing in camera. it was out a tad.

Mark Evans said:
that'd take a lot work mate and to be honest, I'm not sure it'd get viewed by most :thumbup:
:D Mark you know i am not one to disagree, but you have never been so wrong, it would be really really useful and i am sure loads would read it! :geek: However you are right it would be a huge task!

Excellent pics and still loving this scape, however i wonder how long you can keep it going especially with it being so minimalist o_O

Andyh ;)

A couple of years ago there were pictures floating around of a setup by I think it might have been a Dutch aquarist who put a thoughtfully assembled hardscape with rounded river stones together with just a few nice crypts in a tank with low-moderate light and nice, robust fish swimming around in the midwater area. Like this one it was really a great effect.

This is more amazing photography and videography by Mark too. How did you get that dolly shot anyway?

andyh said:
it would be really really useful and i am sure loads would read it! :geek: However you are right it would be a huge task!

maybe one day. however though, you'd get some that would say they were excluded...compact users etc. or those that don't have lights, lenses etc.... 8)

hydrophyte said:
This is more amazing photography and videography by Mark too. How did you get that dolly shot anyway?

cheers mate. i presume you mean the shots with movement?....it's from my tripod. it's a LIBEC video tripod. really nice to use :D

Re: Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock'i love purple

Amazing photos Mark, I love them!

cheers jur4ik :thumbup:

boredom gets the better of me sometimes.

here's one of my fishy friend.

fishy.jpg

here's a crop of the above image. The details are missed on the smaller res files :(

fishy-2.jpg

It's amazing how different Kelvin ratings can give different shades of reds.

this was with flash rated @ 5400K...

colours.jpg

The lilly's have this great ability of changing colour as you move around the tank. from shades of yellow/green to deep red...from the same leaf!

Fantastic as always Mark, the gourami's really suit the tank.

James, did I get back to you like I meant to?

Incredible photography mate. The details on the fish are particularly awesome! :eek: Jaw-droppingly good!

I always find it bizarre how it takes such skill from someone such as yourself and equipment to make up a lot of what we take for granted of being able to see with our eyes. I find it really frustrating not being able to represent my tank on screen how it 'really' is, the same as my experience I have from looking at it

Mind you shots such as yours are even better then our eyesight with how sharp they are, composure, lighting, artistry etc etc so I'm guessing its more then just 'documentary' photography.

Cheers for showing such lovely photos.

JamesM said:
Sick bud, real sick :thumbup:

i'll keep taking the tablets for that dude :lol:

Garuf said:
Fantastic as always Mark, the gourami's really suit the tank.

Their great mate. now they've settled in, their great to watch, colouring up each time food enters the tank, or they get 'frisky' with each other.

NeilW said:
Incredible photography mate. The details on the fish are particularly awesome! :eek: Jaw-droppingly good!

I always find it bizarre how it takes such skill from someone such as yourself and equipment to make up a lot of what we take for granted of being able to see with our eyes. I find it really frustrating not being able to represent my tank on screen how it 'really' is, the same as my experience I have from looking at it

Mind you shots such as yours are even better then our eyesight with how sharp they are, composure, lighting, artistry etc etc so I'm guessing its more then just 'documentary' photography.

Cheers for showing such lovely photos.

and cheers for saying so Neil.

For me, and for so many on this forum, The internet is our only means of getting our work known.It's my only window into the aquatic world.

It's no surprise that I post so much, too much maybe. I've found though, through doing so, i've managed to get work published in 3 aquatic books worldwide. For me, I just love sharing. Many don't get to see what's in a fish tank, so this is my way of helping those who don't have the means.

After all, it's what forums are for right?....we'd all be liar's if we said, we posted and weren't too fust about getting responses ;)

This tank is far from my best, but in each tank I do, I try to find at least 2 angles which makes the tank look better than it really is. It's a great challenge. The common suspects in this one are the...fish and lilly's. Even the rocks don't do it for me that much.

I'll keep on pushing, trying harder to improve photographs, I'll keep on pushing, trying to upload even more images just in the hope that someone, somewhere gets an incy wincy bit of inspiration.

i've added a small algae crew today. shrimp and what not.

the gouramis took a shining to the shrimp...normal?

this shrimp sat on the crypt leaf (look closely)then the gourami came in and started to bother him.

shrimpy--hjome.jpg

sanj said:
What happened to Saintly?

saintly?...whos that? :lol:

just fancied a change. you wait until I call my self Sarah or Samantha...something really random :lol:

here's a video showing my latest additions of flying foxes, thinking their rummy nose tetras :hilarious: ...up and down up and down...

The shrimp are hiding due to being pestered by the gouramis :twisted:

Back