• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NeilW's 30cm Iwagumi - 'Mono'

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - 'Mono' (updated 12/8)

johnny70 said:
Love it, this tank just gets better and better!

Thank you :D

Just thought I would bombard you all with some more pictures :lol:

Anyone else have problems with amphibious Nerites? Twice recently my girlfriends discovered them on the carpet still going strong. I think they survive with a hatch they can pull across to keep in moisture.
img2305x.jpg

The moss is starting to form really nice 'cushions'
img2308t.jpg

img2310e.jpg

Also started to notice the moss producing sporophytes like terrestrial moss
img2319v.jpg

fields of green
img2325nn.jpg

This angle just makes the scale look crazy, looks like a mountain!
img2328jw.jpg

Sorry to inflict more. too many updates in the last few days :lol:

Cheers again for looking,
Neil

Mark Evans said:
good to see the moss thingys.

here's some terestial ones neil.

Thats the ones! Great shot too. I just remembered you took some moss macros a while back, I'll go trawling for them :thumbup:

I havn't seen them on submerged aquatic moss before. I'm confused as to their function and how they work? They look good mixed in with the hairgrass though.

NeilW said:
Thats the ones! Great shot too. I just remembered you took some moss macros a while back, I'll go trawling for them :thumbup:

no worries mate.i've took down the image...dont want to clog your thread up mate. :thumbup:

NeilW said:
Just thought I would bombard you all with some more pictures :lol:

Neil
the more pics the better :D :thumbup: .

Neil

Looks great mate!

Are your pruning your moss or just letting it do its own thing?

I only ask as the dense/compact growth is impressive!

Cheers

Andyh

Sorrry for the slow replies people, I've been away from home.

Mark Evans said:
no worries mate.i've took down the image...dont want to clog your thread up mate. :thumbup:
Clog it as much as you want mate, its all good :thumbup: Thats why I like the journals is the ideas and input

chilled84 said:
Its looking so smart! Impressive growth already, And clean! Well done! :thumbup:
thanks very much indeed :D

andyh said:
Neil

Looks great mate!

Are your pruning your moss or just letting it do its own thing?

I only ask as the dense/compact growth is impressive!

Cheers

Andyh
Cheers mate :D

TBH the areas that look the best where they've formed 'cushions' and look so compact have grown on their own accord, the worst bits are where I've interfered and had to cut it back from algae or reattach it where it didn't take a proper hold from dry-start. I think the 'mini' variety of moss has made it grow that way. I didn't expect it to look this good though, exactly what I was after, well chuffed :D

Neil, I don't know if you're intested but the LED's from Ikea that Oliver knott used on his low tech are now 1/3rd off. The tank still looks amazing. I wish it were mine.

Garuf said:
Neil, I don't know if you're intested but the LED's from Ikea that Oliver knott used on his low tech are now 1/3rd off. The tank still looks amazing. I wish it were mine.
Any linkety links my friend? Thanks again too! :thumbup:

Cheers very much :thumbup: :oops:

When I was dry-starting this setup I looked at it and thought having a go at a viv for dart frogs could look great! Did you end up using your 'planted tank' knowledge on the way?

Thanks again,
Neil

Hiya bud.

I guess in some ways having some knowledge in the planted tank field (as limited as it is ;)) did help me in the vivarium hobby.

There are so many Aquarium plants which make brilliant Vivarium subjects, such as Crypts, all the Moss's, Riccia, Anubias etc so its pretty sweet to know a little about them.

You should give it a bash mate, its really rewarding plus Dart's are such amazing little jewels.

Good luck

Richie

R1ch13 said:
You should give it a bash mate, its really rewarding plus Dart's are such amazing little jewels.

I think I'm going to go in for more emersed stuff approached in an experiential way similar to Tbro. I'm also going to try to get hold of one of the Do!Aqua plant glasses hopefully. Maybe one day when I have the space I'll go for the full on viv! :thumbup:

Jase said:
The tank looks great - that moss looks fantastic 8)

I still feel that the lines of the main stone aren't right though, i think it needs rotating anti clockwise to tie in with the smaller one at the front or perhaps a plant or some moss between the two stones to break the lines

Thanks Jase :)

I think I'll try and get hold of some more Coral Pellia to break it up and also climb the base of the main rock.

Bit of a small update;

Yesterday I saw my first pregnant CRS since moving them to this tank :clap: I think now all the parameters have settled down and I've stopped dosing EC may have helped. I also upped the PH from 6.5 to a more sustainable 7 in the last week.

On the whole I'm well chuffed to have my first algae-free full on Nature Aquarium. Seems daft that I can keep looking at the same glass box with an area slightly bigger then an A4 sheet of paper again and again and not be bored :geek:

Due to all the fish and inverts being 'aufwuchs' feeders I now have the problem (?!) of a spotless tank. As proposed in this post http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12485 I have purposely been trying ( yes, TRYING :wideyed: ) to grow algae on stones to feed to the various vegetarian diners. I originally failed miserably so I just cheekily robbed some pre-'algaed' stones from my dads tank. I couldn't even grow algae when I wanted to! The stones that I stole from my dad I now keep in a tupperware container along with any dying crypt cuttings and TPN+ to create an algae soup :lol:. I started to introduce a stone to the tank at meal times and remove it after a few hours to regain its algal film. I've also started adding Hayashi baby shrimp food that comes in a powdered form that spreads around the tank by the flow which makes for good browsing for the goby and adult CRS

The otto and goby tucking in
img2337y.jpg

Also noticed the other day that when viewed from above a small cutting of coral pellia must have attached itself and grown amongst the moss (see bottom left)
img2342o.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone :D
Neil

I need the same thing so my stiphodons and ottos are the stiphodons eating it?

Krish's Bettas said:
I need the same thing so my stiphodons and ottos are the stiphodons eating it?

The goby does like the algae covered stones, but I also found he likes just standard algae wafers and the baby shrimp powder. I mainly did the stones for the Nerites who won't touch any other foods I've offered.

I feed mine wafers too i also sometimes feed them some high protein food thats sinks to help them grow abit.

Thought this was due an update...

The tanks taken a bit of a pounding since hacking back the mini moss hard to take cuttings. Discovered some of the edges of the carpet were lifting from not taking root properly so had to do some repairs. Also had an outbreak of staghorn which I'm putting down to either a dirty filter, stopping dosing EC or lack of flow from the massive rock. In response I cleaned the filter, upped the flow with the tap, started dosing liquid carbon at recommended amount and manual removal. Theres nothing to look at in the photos though where I've pulled or cut out ever strand to be seen.

This tank is causing much head scratching... I'm in a bit of a catch 22 where I want to go low-tech but as soon as I stop dosing liquid carbon I get algae from where the CO2 level drops off and then I'm forced into spot dosing the carbon and water changes to fix it. I need to figure out a way of SLOWLY reducing the input. I don't think the lighting is OTT... maybe I need some faster growing stems right at the back?

Removed the Riccardia for now whilst I'm dosing the liquid carbon
img2371q.jpg

The windowsill lineup from left to right; Riccardia chamedryfolia, collection of 'Mini' Spiky Moss cuttings, and some Xmas Moss waiting for a purpose in possibly a wabi kusa
img2372f.jpg

Some of the repair work
img2377j.jpg

Tank shot
img2385n.jpg

I also got some tasty ADA gear on its way in the form of the Spring Washer S and Superge to fix those dirrrty pipes, Phyton Git from Hong Kong as a bit of a test and a Do!Aqua Oval 17 plant glass.

Cheers for looking,
Neil

Back