• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

9w or 20w over 10 liter cube?

Tom

Hi all,

I bought one of the new-ish AquaEl shrimp kits (the 10 liter) a few days ago, and have been running it with the standard 9w PC bulb that came with it for 10 hours. I am wondering if that's enough for the likes of M. umbrosum, HC and Marsilea that I also have. I also have an Arcadia Arc Pod - the 11w one. Should I use both lights, or just stick with the 9w? I notice in Amano's Aquarium World book 2 he uses around 30w on a 10 liter. If I could, I'd like to get by with just 9w as I dislike the design of the Arc Pod!

My previous successful tanks had a 24w Compact T5 over a 25 liter, which was about the same depth as this smaller cube.

For ferts I have started dosing 0.2ml Excel and 0.3ml Tropica Plant Nutrition daily. Current stocking is 27 small-ish Cherry Shrimp.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hello mate

How much flow are you getting from your filter? from what ive read on the forum if you up the light this also means upping pretty much everything, such as flow (unless you have a pretty good flow rate already) as well as nutrients and switching to Pressurized Co2.

Im sure if Ceg catches the thread he will school us both, but im pretty sure thats the basic principle. definitely best off adding your filter details and wether your willing to add pressurized Co2.

Hello Tom, i've not seen you around these parts for a while, good to see you're back!

I'd have a go with the 9w, it's pretty much 1w per litre and plenty of people have had success with this nano method, including myself. I do use pressurised CO2 though. If it's not working then PlantedBox are selling the Aquadistri lights, 11w and 18w i think, they'll see you right.

Hey Dan, yeah it's been a while. I'll see how it goes with the one light for now I think. I am dosing quite a bit more than what's recommended on the bottles of TPN and Excel (probably double), so may end up just using both lights. I've had no algae as yet in the few days it's been set up with just M. umbrosum, and the rest of the plants are coming maybe on weds.

Tom

Back