• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

LondonDragon said:
Just keeps getting better George, is this one going to be at the Gallery?
Thanks mate. Yes, I'm considering using this, and another one or two tanks, hopefully. The other two are very different 'scapes indeed; the aim is diversity in style so hopefully something for most tastes.

CeeJay said:
Loving the simplicity of this tank George.
Stunning :D
Thanks! Less is more sometimes, I suppose.

verchap said:
I really like the fish/rock combination.. the subtle oranges in the veins of the rock that show up in those latest couple of photos make the tetras appear so vibrant but in keeping. That's great...
Nice observation. However, I suspect the orange you see in the rocks is actually brown algae! :woot: :lol:

Another shot of the fish.

Testament to the Canon 135mm f2 L lens. They don't come much sharper, and this is wide open at f/2.

4946184613_c1fe3df850_b.jpg

Stunning picture George. Makes me a little jealous not to have the equipment or budget. lol

Will keep on looking for 'broken LCD' ones on ebay for me to repair :rofl:

AC

George Farmer said:
Thanks mate. Yes, I'm considering using this, and another one or two tanks, hopefully. The other two are very different 'scapes indeed; the aim is diversity in style so hopefully something for most tastes.
Great stuff, look forward to seeing it in the flesh! :)

Thanks, all! :D

I'll be spending 10 days away from this tank as of tomorrow so we'll see how it goes when I get back... :?

viktorlantos said:
wow amazing shot George!

Did you used the lens with a full frame body?
Thanks mate.

I took this with my 50D that has a cropped sensor, very similar to yours, Viktor... ;)

The tank and the photos are really very impressive indeed! :geek: :woot:

It defo gives us mere mortals something to aspire too.

One thing i will add is that the level of knowledge in aquascaping and photography is clearly evident. You cant just go and blow a load of money on the best gear without knowing what to do with it. Truly excellent results :thumbup:

I hope that you do get this to the gallery as i would love to see it in the flesh!

andyh

George Farmer said:
I took this with my 50D that has a cropped sensor, very similar to yours, Viktor...

Thanks George, i thought you shoot that with Mark's 5DM2. But now i can imagine this lens with a cropped sensor.
Thanks mate! ;) Still a brilliant shot. :thumbup:

Not much to report really.

I removed the spray bar to see what effect, if any, the direct nozzle gives on plant growth.

5009447783_b3e7318ece_b.jpg

I've also added a few small pieces of Mini Landscape Rock aka Seiryu Stone to the foreground. I simply smashed up a spare piece up with an old axe (eye protection is recommended).

5010051928_accce64773_b.jpg

I scrubbed the rocks with a wire brush to remove the stubborn algae. I actually removed each rock and cleaned them individually before replacing into a similar position. I made some very minor adjustments, but I'm not sure if anyone will notice...

5009447539_5bc95ddb27_b.jpg

It seems my worrying about algae covering the substrate was unnecessary, and the plants remain algae-free also.

So this is somewhat a surprising success so far, as it's now almost 3 months running, and one of the most trouble-free and low maintenance aquascapes I've run so far. Who says you need to plant heavily?!

Here's a re-cap of the specs -

Tank - Aqua Essentials 60x30x36cm German OptiWhite and cabinet
Light - 1 x 24w HO T5 9000K 8 hours
Filter - 1200lph external with inline heater
CO2 - 2Kg FE with Dennerle reg on solenoid, inline Boyu diffuser
Ferts - 3ml TPN+ and 3ml Seachem Excel per day
Substrate - Unipac Maui Sand (inert)
Maintenance - 50% WC per week
Plants - Eleocharis acicularis
Fish - Glowlight tetra and Amano shrimp

For the photographers all shots were taken with tank lighting only and my 50D with 17-70mm Sigma lens.

It's all coming together isn't it?
Are you harbouring any plans to "soften" the foreground and midground and as a result the whole scape with moss stones?
The more I look the more I don't think UG would be the right plant (if you are at all still considering it), moss however, in a transitory role ala Neils Mono and the larger ADA scapes would add a softness that would really compliment and juxtapose the crispness (sharpness is too crude an adjective) of the layout. I think rather than adding the usual timeless nature of moss it would make the scape feel more timely and bedded in place, the crispness of the scape to me makes it feel very transitory, in the in motion sense, and new, it has the same dynamic feel of newness with it's simplicity in lines and it's clean boundaries and junctions. Talking of the dynamics, the balance is very very finely weighted against the plants by the hardscape, something about the visual weight of the rocks pairs itself with the foreground sand and it gives an almost overpowering feel to these two elements, something that no doubt more growth will soften, moss stones would give a redressed balance in favour of the plants, I don't want to say help the balance that sound extremely patronising, it could also be a aspect of the skewed photograph that's added to that.

Don't let any of that be a deterrent though, It's still one of, if not the best iwagumi out there at the moment in my opinion, and better still it's something of a mould breaker.

Hi George, the addition of the smaller stones at the front looks really good in my opinion. Do you run your external filter at full blast? I have a 60cm tank filtered through an Eheim 2215 650lph. I find that the flow is reduced by a lot after it hits the opposite side of the tank. I do have another Fluval 405 with 1200 lph and am wondering if I should use that instead. How do the fish like it at 1200 lph in yours?

Thanks.

Thanks, Gareth and flygja.

flygja said:
Do you run your external filter at full blast? How do the fish like it at 1200 lph in yours?
Yes. But I do have an inline heater and CO2 diffuser so these restrict flow a little.

The fish seem very happy in the flow. In my experience most fish seem to thrive in tanks with good circulation. I have a theory that it makes them more physically fit. Feed them regularly with good quality foods and this ensures that they have plenty of energy to swim in the currents. There's always areas of lower circulation when they fancy a rest too. Most fish seem to shoal better in tanks with good flow too.

Thanks George. I see my Hengel Rasboras getting a bit skittish in high currents and they usually stay at low current areas until feeding time, so I'm just wondering if its ok. I originally had my tank in a similar inlet/outlet arrangement as yours but I'm getting BGA in a few areas. I'm suspecting poor circulation in those areas.

3 months on and it's looking better than ever, in my humble opinion.

5070482961_d9c851164d_b.jpg

I know Cardinal tetras may seem a bit cliched in Iwagumi layouts but I really like them in here.

5070482881_25f9641a6a_b.jpg

I've moved the Glowlight tetras into my 80x45x45cm Dutch 'scape, where they seem very happy indeed! :D

Nothing much else to report. The rocks need a good scrubbing every couple of weeks, but it's the only algae I see in here.

5071088526_d4cb0e4835_b.jpg

The hairgrass also requires keeping in check. I simply remove excess runners and re-plant if I feel the need. The tips are pruned too, every so often, depending on the location.

Next on the agenda is to upgrade the black plastic inlet/outlet to glassware!

Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree - New fish and photos

It does look very nice George. You can add a dwarf ciclid pair there, let them spawn, feed & watch the little ones .. :)

Back