• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown algae

gollum456

tank size is 325 litres
dimensions 120cm x 48 x 67cm
heavily planted
co2 injected to what i thinkis quite high levels, 3 bpm, lime green drop checker
lights 4 x 39w T5 which have been in there from day one
dosing 20ml DIY TPN+ x3 per week
i have always had trouble with brown algae, specifically on the plants. though in the last two weeks it has been getting worse than ever.

i really dont know where to start with this one as i read it is normally attributed to new set ups, mine is nearly 6 months old!!

appreciate any input, cheers.

How long is your lighting period and is the tank getting any sunlight?

gollum456 said:
tank size is 325 litres
dimensions 120cm x 48 x 67cm
heavily planted
co2 injected to what i thinkis quite high levels, 3 bpm, lime green drop checker
lights 4 x 39w T5 which have been in there from day one
dosing 20ml DIY TPN+ x3 per week
i have always had trouble with brown algae, specifically on the plants. though in the last two weeks it has been getting worse than ever.

i really dont know where to start with this one as i read it is normally attributed to new set ups, mine is nearly 6 months old!!

appreciate any input, cheers.

Hi Gollum456

With the size of your tank you should be injection more than 3 bps - have you moved the DC around the tank to see whether there is parity with the colouration.

My instinct tells me that your Co2 levels are not high enough, lighting periodicity it too long, not enough fertz being added and no liquid carbon been added.
If it were me: increase Co2 levels ( move the DC around the tank to check levels) increased fertz added (daily requirement) and turn your lighting period down - 6 hrs should be ample.

High lighting which you have and long periods of light require - high injection of Co2, plenty of fertz, good water circulation and liquid carbon.

hope this helps
Regards
Paul.

I agree with Paul, but I would also remove at least one bulb from the light unit and shorten the lighting period until you get on top of things. Only then should you think about increasing the light again.

Get some Ottos in there to feast on the brown algae too :)

Back