• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l - Gone

Re: 10 Liter AquaEl

Good luck. Maybe due to smaller diameter they wont bend that much. They look good though i must admit.

My AE order came today - the box had fallen apart, but everything was fine. You're right, the tube is very soft. For now, I've relocated the tank so that the tubes go straight up to the glass pipes.

The AE lily pipes could best be described as rustic, but they are only cheapish - the slits for the inlet could best be described as rustic, and I am a little worried for my Cherry Shrimp!

However the look good in the tank, and thats what I bought them for. I now have an Eheim 2036 running on a 10 liter!

Scissors look nice and are good to use :)

Tom

Tom said:
I now have an Eheim 2036 running on a 10 liter!

Thats worse then me :lol: I got the Ecco 130 on my 17 litre...I hope you got the tap turned down ;) May be alright though as you got a lot of rock blocking flow like I have and theyre also meant to be overrated in lph anyways

Tap's open about 3/4, but the outlet lily pipe is only 9mm, so that will restrict it a bit. Safe to say though there's no dead spots now, so Clive will be happy :D

Couple of quick questions if anyone knows...
Dwarf Hairgrass... I trimmed it when it was planted, and the bits that were trimmed are now all really nasty, brown/yellow and just generally don't look great. Now that I've got some new blades coming through, can I get rid of the old stuff? Like trim it right to the gravel?

Same goes for the HC - the old stuff is now quite brown/yellow and manky, whereas new growth is starting to appear.

Tom

Hi mate, glad you're getting that sorted out. Hope the finger is healing.

Just get rid of the manky stuff. It only harbours problems and never gets better. New growth is what you're after.

Cheers,

I'm still getting the Diatoms at the moment and I've noticed a bit of hair algae on the HC so I've ordered an UP Regulator - the 2 gauge one with solenoid. Hopefully it'll do, and I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that Excel just won't cut it! I can't believe I sold my JBL reg. I've also just realized that I still do have CO2 in my FE, by accidentally setting it off. I won't do that again :rolleyes: Not sure exactly how much is left, but I'll see when I get the reg through the post. I've still got all the glassware and new CO2 tubing, so should be all good to go :)

And I'll be off to TGM at the weekend too, to pick up my Mini M and possibly some Aquasoil, sand etc :D Excitement! :clap:

I'm hoping I'm over the worst of the Diatoms now - the new tips of the M. umbrosum doesn't seem to be getting quite so covered now. You can see though where I have cleaned the large rock, as it is much cleaner than the others. They are more difficult to get to and need more a delicate touch to avoid disturbing the substrate. The front rock is still too shadowy, but I'll sort that out later on. The substrate in the front right corner seems the worst hit by the diatoms, but the HC is beginning to grow in. It's growing best down the right-hand side. The front may be a bit shadowy for it which would explain the slow growth. Moss is growing great though, although you can't see well in this pic!

ResizeAssistant-1-2.jpg

I've also learned not to have forward-leaning hardscape! Here's the flash setup for that shot. I had to position the flash a bit further forward than I would have liked, and also had to add the reflectors again to bounce light back up to the front rock.

No reflectors - you can see it is much more shadowed
ResizeAssistant-2-1.jpg

With reflectors
ResizeAssistant-3.jpg

Not great shots, but I won't try too hard until this algae has receded!

Tom

I got my new UP Dual Gauge Regulator/Solenoid through this morning, so have set it up to run at 1 bubble every 3 seconds to start with. After one hour, the plants are pearling, which I hadn't seen in this tank until now. Let's sort this algae out!

Tom

Re: 10 Liter AquaEl - I have CO2!!

Just thought I'd put up some more recent pics. Hopefully the diatoms are a little more under control now since I've switched back down to the original 9w light, have started CO2 injection and have switched ferts to a TPN/TPN+ ratio of 3:1 as per Graeme's advice. Pics shot with Asahi Pentax 55mm F2 from the 60's on the now clean-sensored 5D, but I love it!

IMG_1953.jpg

The Umbrosum is still struggling, but new shoots are appearing all over the shop.
IMG_1958.jpg

I've also sprinkled a fine layer of new sand over the top of the diatom-infested stuff in the hope of starving the last of it off... the rocks were cleaned again yesterday.
IMG_1968.jpg

HC is painfully slow
IMG_1971.jpg

The temptation is just unreal!!
IMG_1969.jpg

Tom

thats a lovely nano tank, what stocking is in there at the moment?

I can see how CO2 injection is affecting your plants :)
Waiting for more pictures of tank's progress ;)

Always an exceptional scaper, keep us updated it's growing in really well!

Right, I've had a right old hack back recently, as all that algae had damaged so much of the plants lower down and it looked really ugly. Almost all stems are gone, except for a tiny bit of Umbrosum back right, and a mix of all-sorts behind the rock. I'm waiting to see how that will look when it pokes over top - may axe that too.

I've taken the moss right back to the bottom, removing almost all of it that wasn't directly attached to the rock, in an effort to promote healthy growth.

The HC is still challenging me, but as you can see it is growing much better now. There are a lot of damaged leaves mixed in with the good new growth, and I'm slowly getting rid of it as the new stuff comes through. Slow, but definite progress!!

Meanwhile, the Mini M is still there, hardscape ready to go, but I can't touch it until I'm happy with this one and move the equipment over!! I've written it off for any competitions, but at least it could look half decent soon :) You might also be able to tell I've had to lighten the rocks and moss in Photoshop, as it comes out very dark under flash, whereas the white sand blows easily.

tank-4.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Re: 10l - Picture update 9/12

Tom, i see the HC all the way around the base of the stone. I personally think it does not need stems in the back.

The moss on the stone looks tremendous.

Back