• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Phyton Git - worth it?

NeilW

Hello all :wave:

Was considering purchasing some Phyton Git for my low-tech nano, but would you consider it something worth getting if you had the money? Has anyone had tangible results? Is it worth getting if you don't have the full ADA system? Or is it just some more 'over-priced ADA snake oil'?

massively using this in the past 2 years. 50ml last long especially if you use for your nano tank.

only have positive feedback if we're not talking about prices.

- Keeps light sand clear from algae, and help prevent BGA (cyano)
- helps with decors like stone wood when you have brush on them. you can overdose it will not harm your plant, fish or shrimps not like excel or carbo.
- you can wash your plants in it like anubias and others. you really can't do this with carbo/excel your plant will die off
- as an extra you got some freakin roasted bacon / smoke odor when you hit your stone decors with it at water changes :D

combining with carbo or excel you can have great result with it and an algae free zone.
recommended stuff.

ps: brush red moor and probably other wood at setup will helps to eliminate fungus/white stuff on the wood on the first 3 week or so. just brush it before you put it to the tank.

Thought you'd be the man to ask Viktor, cheers very much!

It does sound like good stuff, something else to add to my arsenal in the algae war without being nuclear strength EasyCarbo.

viktorlantos said:
- as an extra you got some freakin roasted bacon / smoke odor when you hit your stone decors with it at water changes :D
This made me proper laugh :lol: I think I'm going to have to buy it just for the bacon experience!

Cheers again.

Thanks for the info mate :thumbup: That is one lovely setup you have there, very much so my dream tank. Your scape has really done that ADA gear justice, stunning.

I managed to pick it up a bit cheaper off an Ebay seller from Hong Kong so it wasn't as painful as I thought which is good.

viktorlantos said:
50ml packages on ADA range means 500 drop approx or more. if you dose the regular dosage then 1 drop per 5 liter weekly. for massive algae handling may and brushing decors you use more, but still last long enough.

original booklet: http://adana.co.jp/_e_product/pdf/PHYTON_GIT.pdf

this product is allways part of my basic fert package: http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlantos/4935712734/
you can see that in the box next to my nano all the time :lol:

cheers :angelic:

Viktor

When using it to clear algae from wood with brush, do you out some in a bowl and literally paint onto the wood?
If i drain my water in my tank low enough to get to the wood will that be ok to do it in tank?

Andy

oh and viktor is right it does smell like bacon, reminds me of "frazzles" (bacon flavour crisps!)

andyh said:
Viktor

When using it to clear algae from wood with brush, do you out some in a bowl and literally paint onto the wood?
If i drain my water in my tank low enough to get to the wood will that be ok to do it in tank?

Andy

cheers Andy :thumbup:

Yup with existing setups at water changes when the level is down is ok to brush it. Use a small bowl, add phyton to that, if a large surface area need to be brushed you can mix with water a bit to have enough liquid. You also can add Phyton to the wood decor directly, but with moss covered wood this is not efficient. So bowl is better for wood.

Keep the phyton on the wood til you do your regular water change. If the wood / decor is algae infected phyton git will give a much stronger odor. Maybe this kills the algae with its smell i do not know. :p
But the smell is stronger when you have brush etc algae. I usually keep there for 15-20 minutes. You may need to repeat that with future changes.

With fresh setup just brush the wood a little to clean it:
151.jpg

then you can drop some phyton git to the wood and with a brush just spread it.

We used the second way on this tank, cleaned the wood at the setup.

21.2111.jpg

and did not had the initial few weeks white floss on the wood.

So you can overdose straight into the tank without removing any decor and it will help get rid of algae, without harming any livestock? I'm tempted! I'm getting a bit of algae on my rocks at the moment. Would you have to brush the rocks, or can you dose into the water column and leave it running?

Tom

Tom said:
So you can overdose straight into the tank without removing any decor and it will help get rid of algae, without harming any livestock? I'm tempted! I'm getting a bit of algae on my rocks at the moment. Would you have to brush the rocks, or can you dose into the water column and leave it running?

Tom

I dosed this to my nano tank too where i keep shrimps. Without any issue. Dosing to the water column will help you mostly with the algae on the sand. Need to drop this to the decor when the water level is down to burn the algae.

For harder BBA still Carbo or Excel is more efficient dosing with an injection to the water column close to the infected area.

Sometimes need to use both of the products, keeping eye on the CO2 (clean diffusers, less surface movement) and do frequent water changes to reach the maximum effect.

But phyton had positive effect on my tanks since i use it.

Viktor, what is it actually made up of? Does it have an ingredients list?

For one it contains phytoncide. Seems they dig it in China, Japan and Russia. Sorry Garuf, I know that was directed at Viktor but I was already had a search last night :geek:

So how's this any different than say H2O2 that cost 69 cents a liter?
I can brush this on and it will do the same thing. Also very safe when used correctly. Why do you have BBA on the wood or BGA in the first place? Excel also does the same thing if you use it this way.

So does clove oil diluted or bleach if you take it out, even hot scalding water, also any concentrated nutrient solution, osmotic shock-> strong salt solutions will kill algae.
But some do not need to use it to begin with.

Killing algae is easy. Prevention of it ever coming back keeps folks away from this type of stuff.
Then no more is ever needed.

That's the real root of the solution.
I've not changed this advice in 15 years, and it's held since that time.

regards,
Tom Barr

Impatient on a low tec tank pm :)

However BBA seems to be pretty normal on the hardscape in my experience. No idea why. In hitec and lo tec no algae anywhere exept a few lfluffy black patches on the wood. Always been there and I don't worry too much about it.

Whats in phyton git? Here's a link. Don't know its accuracy but it doesn't list phytonicide unless that is another name for what they do list. :
http://www.azaquaticplants.com/communit ... php?t=6402

AC

plantbrain said:
So how's this any different than say H2O2 that cost 69 cents a liter?
I can brush this on and it will do the same thing. Also very safe when used correctly. Why do you have BBA on the wood or BGA in the first place? Excel also does the same thing if you use it this way.

Tom, you're right. There are many treatment stuff out there. And you always can find cheap solution for many issues. I never used H2O2 before, i know this works good, but i've seen many tank where people lost fish, damaged plants etc. Could be because they not used the right way, but this is not really a friendly solution. Like a Nuke. Would you use it with high grade shrimps too where shrimp cost 50-200+Euro / piece? No offense just intrested. ;)
Can you treat decor sand coloring too with it? H2O2 is mostly for spot attack if i am right.

Excel, Carbo works great when you add them to the water directly, but when you use them on plants when water level is down it's damage them. Of course you can mix that with water i never used this way.

Algae just comes no matter how much you care on the start and try to prevent it. Sometimes just come and we had to fight with it. Probably happens mainly because of a human fault, but noone is perfect. You could be lucky with a few setups especially with larger ones. I also had more issues with small tanks where the CO2 fluctuation is much bigger with lot of light.

Let's see this way. Both of the stuff we mentioned works.

Strongest (more dangerous) to less dangerous i would say:
H2O2 > Carbo > Excel > Phyton Git

Friendliest:
Phyton > Excel > Carbo > H2O2

FYI they all act differently. The above list not means they do the same effect.

There are many other stuff of course which could be useful. The whole topic is about the experience with this product, as there are not much feedback on it on the internet at least in English.

For me I wanted a product that would help prevent algae in the time I'm taking to tweak fert levels and lighting but with a milder effect on both shrimp and Riccardia chamedryfolia. As an off-the-shelf product this seemed to fit the bill.

PM said:
But you can't add these alternatives to the tank with shrimp in can you? Without risk of harming shrimp.

EDIT: Agreed about prevention, I just started low-tech with too much light so getting this to help clear up now i have reduced lighting.

H2O2 most certainly, Excel most certainly.............you can and many do.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back