• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape

Bobtastic said:
All this talk of substrates has diverted away from my desire for feedback on the initial scape idea. Does anyone else have an opinion on it. I really would like some constructive crit if I can!

I think the rear right hand rock needs to point upwards, like the two main rocks, other than that I think it looks good

Hey Bob

My main comments/observations is that a number of the low down stones may get lost once the scape is planted/fully grow. Its just something worth considering as i have had a number scapes were the rocks have been lost due to healthy plant growth.

Andy

Ok, thoughts today have turned to plant selection. Here is a short list of plant that I'm thinking of :-

Background:
Rotala
Blyxa
Crypts: Balansae, Wendtii "Green"

Mid-Foreground:
Staurogyne sp.
Eleocharis Acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides or Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Pogostemon Helferi

I also have Hydrocotyle verticillata, Micranthemum umbrosum and some Java Fern atm so I'm sure that I'll work them in somewhere!

Thoughts, recommendations and criticism most welcome!

Would there be any benefit to using cat litter as an under substrate? I'm obvioulsy using ADA Malaya (I've been to TGM today and gotten an additional 12litres to what i have atm), but is there any benefit to using cat litter as a kind of Power Sand?

Preperations continue...

Here is a proposed planting plan :

TopViewplatns.jpg

#1 - Eleocharis Acicularis
#2 - Pogostemon Helferi
#3 - Staurogyne sp.
#4 - Mixed Crypt (Wendtii "Green")
#5/6 - Rotala, Blyxa, Crypt Balansae and probably a Java Fern.

With the blank area as graded gravel and sand.

Comments, criticisms and observations most welcome!

Try this:

#1 - Eleocharis Parvula, Acicularis grows kinda tall for foreground, hemianthus callitrichoides looks neat too infront of Staurogyne sp.
#2-3 - Staurogyne sp. or Pogostemon Helferi (try not to mix them)
#4 - Crypt Wendtii "Green" - a good choice (doesn't grow that tall).
#5/6 - Only Rotala (you can mix a bunch of rotalas here like rotundifolia, indica, macrandra green, mini).

Aim for simplicity to make a visual impact.
Looks nice already!

Good luck,
Mike

I already have some Crypt Balansae so will be using that in the back left corner. Hoping that it will look good waving over the top of the Rotala.

Would you suggest one or the other in the scape with the Staurogyne sp. and Pogostemon Helferi?

You can put both Staurogyne sp. and Pogostemon Helferi and keep the one you like most :).

Here's my honest opinion... *raises shield as a newbie in UKAPS* :D

just IMHO,
THere's isnt much harmony there in the rockwork.. just saying. too far apart from one another..
Needs some solid accompanying rocks..
Needs some solid slope action..

Perhaps it'll look better with plants filled in.. so... But that's just me :D

Hope you don't mind my comment though. It's just what I felt .

Drew

Nope, comments and criticism most welcome! Still very much in the planning stage so nothing set in stone (badum tissh).

Can you try to explain what you mean? Any visual examples would be extremely helpful too!

These are several tanks from the landscaping contests in the ADA Party Malaysia last year.. Not the best of pictures.. lighting was very BAD.

DSC_2522.jpg

this one in particular.. In all due respect to the Scaper. was rather loose.. hence not forming a solid 'feel' to the rockwork.

DSC_2523.jpg

this one. at least has some backbone to the entire scape.

The champ and the runner ups for that competition were these scapes..
DSC_2529.jpg

1st runner up.. THough not exactly an iwagumi.. but it's what we like to call as iwa-woody lol.

DSC_2526.jpg

The champ of the scaping contest.. My personal tank. got myself an ADA 60P for it :D (not to brag and all)

And all that was from this pile of rocks/wood
DSC_2460.jpg

Another one of my 'play tanks'
PICT0004-1.jpg

failed to start up though.. this one was done in one of my early years.. still very new to the scene but I like the rockwork..

Hope this knocks some ideas into you lol... Feeling the 'flow' yet? :D

Sorry mods and admins for the thread hijack.

Drew

Back