• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ray's 90cm Rescape

Hi Ray

I'm fairly new and know naff all compared to most on here, but I've read your thread and looked at this lovely looking tank of yours. It's very colourful without being garish, and whether this has happened by planning or by accident, all I can say is well done, it's very inviting to look at.
I hear what you're saying about the open sand area. I think one more small piece of stone in the front left below that little black mark in the sand and about 4 times the size, about an egg size would even things out. With grass growing behind and in-between that and the existing end rock. There's perhaps potential for a small low ledge piece being exposed from the sand to the front right too.
The space to the left of the red plant I can imagine, set slightly further back, a taller plant with a strong stem and medium sized horizontal leaves. For me this would finish it off well with a sort of tree look about it.
As I said, I know very little of the names etc but I love thinking about what might work, and the never-ending pursuit of the prefect scape.
I'm learning and feeling inspired lots being here and I hope you don't mind my suggestions.

Thanks

Gavin

Hi Ray, Just wondered what are the blue fish? The look like cardinal/neon shape and lovely blue but I can't see any red...

Hi Lisa, well spotted - they are False Neons - Paracheirodon simulans. More discrete than true neons or cardinals but sometimes less is more as they say. I've had them about 18 months and still have the original 19.

Hello Gavin and thanks for your enthusiastic and inspiring response! It's very motivating to get such enthusiastic and detailed feedback. I think, as you say, once everything is running smoothly I need to extend the back out to the left so as to be less asymetrical. Your comments are filed away for that day. I'm new to stems also (check the journal in my sig to see what I did first time around) and the possibilities for change and exploration with them are quite fun since they grow fast and can be moved around easily. The bright red one (Alternanthera reineckii) is just there for fun really. Once the rotola and ludwigia get fully transitioned from emersed there should be enough colour and it can go.

Ray said:
pruned the stems like a hedge and threw all the nice tops thinking it would grow back, I think this was a mistake because the lower half of the stems, particularly the ludwigia, were in poor shape.

This is where trimming heights and more importantly, placement of stems becomes a little more vital.

The stems should recover if the tank is happy. However, if there's not a stone, branch or even low growing plants to hide the lower, more unsightly part of the stems, you'll always see them.

you can plant the tops and harvest your plants, but i've not done that in 3 years.

I get the sense that with BGA being present, something is adrift.

Thanks for the kind words Ray :oops:

Mark Evans said:
I get the sense that with BGA being present, something is adrift.
Maybe, but what? With the leak the plants stood in 3 inches of water for 4 days before we got light & CO2 - was that it? Or was it not enough flow until I added the Koralia back? Or is it not enough light behind the rock? Or maybe because my bulbs are 2 years old and so putting out less light (plan to switch in new ones once fully established and algae free). Whatever, its true the Rotola Rotundifolia grew vigorously on top but melted at the base. And I did induce BGA at some point (although what caused that might not be still present).

Still things seem to be recovering now...

How do you keep BGA out of your sand Mark?

Hey ray,
Just read your journal for the first time and I think it looks great! The reds and the greens look fab together. Keep fighting the algae!
Andyh

Ray said:
Hi Lisa, well spotted - they are False Neons - Paracheirodon simulans. More discrete than true neons or cardinals but sometimes less is more as they say. I've had them about 18 months and still have the original 19.
Thanks for letting me know Ray - they do look nice :)

Back