• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large tank lights and filter

Colin

Hi Guys,
Went to my LFS last week end and there was an 8’ x 2.6’ x 2.6’ tank in there complete with a solid oak cabinet, well I just have to have one of those, it looked great, even better my wife thought so as well so no difficult sell on that score either.
Only two factors to resolve I’ve got some Giesmann lights that I don’t want to part with. I only use the MH for one hour a day but the 5” tubes are on for ten hours, would they suit this new set up they are 4 x 80 watt T5 Tubes .
I was thinking if I put low light plants at the sides I could still use them and save on the cost of new ones.
I was told that a sump filter would suit this set up better than External filters I would probably need 3x Ehiem 260, I currently have one and was going to buy another to replace an old Ehiem filter that is currently running in my setup.
I know nothing about Sump filters apart from they have a reputation for leaking but that has probably been sorted out since I last read about them some years ago. Does anyone have any opinions about the lighting or the Sump Filter? I’ve been told the Sump filter will start at around £150 so will work out cheaper than 3 Ehiem’s, although I will expect a high flow rate so will expect to pay double that.
Thanks
Col

Hello Colin,

nice size tank and even better a solid oak cabinet!

Remember your main considerations; light, co2, circulation and fertilisation. All have to be complementary to allow the sytem to work successfully.

Personally I am cautious about sumps with planted tanks if you are going to inject co2. It certainly can be done, but it has to be designed well to minimise co2 loss. Some people have done so on this site, although I think the amount of co2 that needs to be injected compared to a sumpless tank appears to be quite a bit higher. For example what lasts me several months, some other people with sumps change in a couple of weeks if that. Again this might well be down to design or tweaking. A sump has its advantages; more volume, easy to hide equipment, can be a refugium, easier maintenance, cheaper start up cost and to run than three externals. I think Tom Barr ( one of the demi-gods of planted-fish tanks :p ) does recommend sumps on larger aquariums, maybe he could give you some advice.

However it has to be designed right (co2 as mentioned), also while it would have a single return pump it needs to be able to provide ample circulation, preferably 10x tank volume otherwise you will have to sumplement with powerheads which is additional cost.

If you choose not to go down the co2 route it is not so much an issue.

The thing is all your inputs need to be in balance and no co2 injection implies that you would need to use less light aswell. I have an 8'x 3' x 2.33' tank and I use two 4' ATI pendants end to end they are 4x54W each, but at the moment i only have half on for 8 hours a day, I may change to full lighting for 1-2 hours in the evening just for asthetics, but this would be too much light for all the time. Also these lights are suspended 18" above the water. The reason is to give a better spread of light, but also any lower and the intensity will be too high. This does not mean it will be the exact same case with your Geismans as they are a different design.

Do you have the option to switch some T5s off? or is it all or nothing? If so then I would really consider changing those lights or be prepared to be able to provide all the requirments namely alot more co2 injection and fertilizer input (NPK and traces).

My personal advice to you (for an easier life and greater chance of success) is to make light the limiting factor i.e a lower /moderate amount of lighting, even a spread as possible. Ideally if you can inject co2 all the better, if not then ~160-200 watts evenly spread.

I dont know if this will give you any help or not, but here is my tank journal;http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11386

Hi Sanj,
Thanks for the reply, the CO2 will need to be sorted out I was thinking of putting in a Aquamax 5oo diffuser on the return so it would be well diffused although I would expect to use a lot more with this size of tank.
I had a look at your journal that’s a good scape I don’t mind the stump on the right I could do with a couple myself. I currently have some petrified wood in my tank which looks good and I prefer a jungle type scape more natural to my mind but each to their own.
I agree I will need 10 x flow and the sound from the pump is of concern with me but my LFS says he can’t hear his so maybe not a big concern. They say they will get the Sump built for me so it will be well designed and will ensure there s no spills from power cuts siphoning the water out of the tank.
My main concern is still my lights I really don’t want to change these I can turn them all on or just the MH or two or four of the tubes, currently two of the tubes turn on the half an hour later the other two followed by the MH for an hour in the afternoon. I only stagger the tubes so I don’t startle the fish, I once lost some Discus because of this.

Back