• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sand Cap Removal?

Bobtastic

Hi all,

I was wondering if our veteran rescapers can offer up some advice on an easy way to remove the sand they have used to cap another substrate.

I am gonna start rescaping my tank very soon and wish to remove and reuse the sand I have over my ADA Malaya. I'm currently looking at using a length of air line host to syphon out the sand, but as you can imagine is (and is going to be) rather time consuming. If this is the best way to do it, I'll just get on with it. I just wanted to find out if there are some sneaky shortcuts or "tips of the trade"?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Ive removed quite alot of pool filter sand and play sand using a syphon. But I guess if the tank is empty of fish and of decor the easiest way would be to swirl it all up so the sand is in suspension before you start pumping it out with the syphon.
Gavin

Use a bigger diameter hose. I used to buy filter hose (it was about £1.50 a meter) rather than a specially made siphon. Put one end in tank, the other suck (careful don't swallow tank water) to get the siphon going, put it into a bucket, you can stop the flow by putting you thumb over the end making a seal in the tank end. I would just run the hose close to the sand and it should pick up the sand. The sand and water you siphoned will be in the bucket, pour away water (and fish poop) and you should have separated them both! Ta-da...

Back