• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKAPS @ The Green Machine '08 - Photo Journal

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Saturday 5th April 2008 saw the most successful UKAPS meet yet, hosted by The Green Machine.

A wholehearted thanks to all involved - Jim and Mark for the warm reception and wonderful hospitality throughout the day, Andy and Elaine for their inspirational talk and biotope aquascape display. Thanks also to all UKAPS members who made to trip and helped to make the day the success it was.

I am sure all participants will agree it was very significant day for UKAPS, The Green Machine and most importantly, the planted tank and aquascaping hobby. A true “win win” scenerio.

Here are a few photo journal-style highlights of the event, including the small gathering at Graeme’s lovely house at the end of the day. I hope it gives you an idea of how well the day went.

Starting with Andy Mack’s lectures and aquascaping display…

Andy gives a comprehensive talk on a host of subjects including sustainability with reference to the collecting of hardscape materials, geology (strata etc.), composition, plant selection, rock positioning, gravel choices, water purity (RO vs. tap, dangers of fluoride etc.)
f_1andyintrom_69b6af7.jpg

Graeme, Daniel and Andy
f_2andydiscusm_fd6c084.jpg

The step-by-step biotope aquascape created by Andy with assistance from his lovely wife, Elaine.

1. Gravel already installed. Base layer of Tropica stuff topped with Unipac Zambezi and Andy’s collected gravels
f_3gravelm_eb005b2.jpg

2. Initial stones arranged
f_4stonesm_8d226b7.jpg

3. Almost complete stone layout
f_5finalstonem_85827d5.jpg

4. Filling slowly with water
f_6fillingwatm_7cb1a09.jpg

5. After water filling. Note the excellent layout of the gravels and stones...
f_7stonesanglm_0bf0d49.jpg

6. Some of the high quality Tropica plants used for the display - Cryptocoryne balansae, C. parva, C. wendtii 'Green' and 'Brown', Microsorium pteropus
f_8plantsintrm_c27228b.jpg

7. Andy planting with tweezers after me convincing him they were less messy to use than fingers! He later switched to UKAPS long angled tweezers
f_9plantingtwm_c7a584a.jpg

8. Fully planted with Redmoor wood added. Water still cloudy unfortunately
f_closem_b57f13f.jpg

9. Full tank shot - very impressive for an 'instant' aquascape
f_finalcroppem_0f202ba.jpg

Now for some in-shop photos...

Small selection of the Redwood available and some of the immaculate fish sale tanks
f_redwoodandfm_eb43fb6.jpg

My favourite - an 8 foot Iwagumi
f_8footiwagumm_5e36e79.jpg

Iwagumi from behind - my prefered perspective...
f_8footangleom_23eb254.jpg

Jungle Massive!!
f_5footsquarem_a324392.jpg

The 10 footer that nearly ended Jim's marriage when it turned up at his home!!
f_10footerm_f64a0b0.jpg

One of a few off-the-shelf displays
f_offshelfm_9846b7c.jpg

A 35 litre Arc Tank set up by Graeme
f_graemes35lim_85b9092.jpg

Dan and Graeme enjoying themselves...
f_danlaughingm_eeb9a51.jpg

Most of the UKAPS members that made the visit. Apologies to those I missed.
f_groupm_7699fe8.jpg

Back row, left to right -

Garuf, John (John Starkey), Daniel (Daniel19831123), Clark (Superman), Lisa (Lisa_Perry75), Sam (Themulous), Mark (Arana), Steve (DevUK), Chrissi (Ulster Exile)

Front row, UKAPS Founders -

Graeme Edwards, me, Dan Crawford

And finally a few shots from the end of the evening, taken in Graeme's home

Folk chatting around Graeme's main tank
f_inroomm_cfe1fd2.jpg

John admiring Graeme's 8 litre nano
f_johnandgraem_43c129f.jpg

Lisa multitasking - photographing whilst eating pizza
f_lisapizzam_1c332ff.jpg

And as if some of us hadn't drank enough during the day...
f_foodanddrinm_94094e0.jpg

Cheers!

I enjoyed the fact I'm Garuf, not Gareth (Garuf). :lol:
Brilliant pictures, George, wish I'd got to see Graeme's tanks though!

Great pictures George, thanks :D

Echoing Gareth's comments, I'm sorry I didn't get to see any of Graeme's tanks in the flesh!

Hi George, very nice photo journal mate,looking forward to the next one, regards john. 8)

Great journal George.I managed to remain elusive by turning up late and missing the group photo ;) ,maybe you'll catch me next time.

Glad everyone likes the photos. I spent about 2 hours on this thread last night when I should have been working... 8)

Sorry, Lisa! Couldn't resist posting that one. Do you have any shots from inside the actual tank? (Lisa's camera is waterproof much to our amazement when she dipped it in the tank and began snapping away).

Sam - You can get the same results with an entry level DSLR, maybe even better. Getting a nice camera is the easy bit... ;)

Excellent scapes, wish I had got my blahblahblahblah in gear to go! Makes me feel totally inadequate when you see scapes like that done so quickly, i've got a lot to learn.. :)

Thats fine George but I may have to keep my promise on the beating thing :lol: us redheads get fiesty like that :twisted:

Yeah I'll put the pics up soon. Got another major hand in due in day after tomorrow though and not started so uh, gtg!

Back