• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new tank

Ben M

hi, someone i know has offered a nearly new juwel rekord tank for free (i'm not sure if it's the 60 or 80), and if my dad allows us to put it in the workshop then i'll be using it as a grow out tank for the kribs we're breeding. what i'm wondering is how many kribs could we put in there at a time? i'll be selling them when they get to about an inch. it'll be crammed full of moss which i'm growing, so would i be able to breed shrimp in it as well? i know that adult kribs will eat shrimp, but as i'll only have these until they are about 1" then will the shrimp be ok (with lots of cover)? also, i'm trying to breed corys, will they be able to go in there as well, or would the kribs harass them? i have corys in a tank with kribs and they are ok, but that is a bigger tank, so they have more room. or could i only hatch the cory eggs when i have sold a lot of kribs, so then i'd just have corys in it, and then when i've sold them on put more baby kribs in?

also, do you think i'd be able to make much money out of this, i'm trying to raise some funds to spend on my tanks as i'm a bit low on money ATM.

cheers :D

I bred Kribs years ago in a Rekord 60. Obviously no more than one adult pair, or 20-35 <1" I'd say, but keep up on those water changes and maintenance!! I'd go bare bottom too. Keep it like a shop system. More filtration if you can.

Forget the shrimp or cory babies, they'll be lunch! Adult corys would be fine though. You won't get much money really for selling them I wouldn't think. Shops will buy Kribs in for pennies as they are so easy to produce. You might get a fiver for the lot maybe, if they pay!

Tom

hi, so would even young kribs eat shrimp? i'd like to have it looking nice, so i'd prefer to have a shallow sand substrate. and it will be full of mosses (which i'll hopefully sell as well ;) ). if there isn't much money in the kribs then could a cory species or bristlenose catfish species work? i really like the lemon bristlenose l144, about how much would i expect to pay for a pair of those, and how much could i sell the babies for and at what size? and are they ok with mosses and shrimp, or would they eat them?

Back