• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY amazon root

ok, the sand is cleaned and in, ive added a piece of thin tall mangrove wood at the right hand side to cover up intakes and heater from a front view, will get one for the left later after it is filled, the 2080 i got is arriving soon then i just have to set up the filters, heaters, plop in the lights and air pump,fill, start the cycle and add n the thermometer. It should be done this weekend, latest the following weekend, and then when the cycle is done i will put the fish in. I will try and find something to take pics with for when its filled, but i lost my camera on a short trip to rome unfortunately

Nice and atmospheric, can't wait to see it with all the plants in.

I like the roots dangling down, it's a different effect from the usual and means you can play around with the plants rising to meet them. It might be more difficult to scape this way than the other but that's half the fun of doing something different.

*Subscribing for updates* :)

thanks, but just to avoid any confusion, its only going to have floating plants, i have another tank thats planted but hopefully im allowed to post this fairly non-planted tank on here lol

Ahhh, it's because you were talking about buying lots of substrat-Pro and planting vallis that I assumed there would be other plants. My bad, as they say assumption is the mother of the biggest mistakes ;)

i know ive taken a while, but i lost my camera. Here are some phone camera pics. There are fish in now but it looks about the same ill wait for a few more fish before uplaoding any mroe pics
Photo0080.jpg

Photo0085.jpg

Photo0086.jpg

This is hardscape on a epic scale, I could well imagine a huge shoal of Neon gliding through that. Well done, Tom

great hardscape.
larger rocks?
cardinals, rummies, earth eaters and angels will set it off a treat.

thanks for the replies :D ,
ive got some threadfin acaras in there atm,
i might move my green terror in if he behaves,
im ordering a pimelodus ornatus + 5-6 green phantom plecos, they look awesome and get rid of what grows on the wood!
i really wanted a large shoal but i really cant imagine catching them if i ever have to. I could try a shoal of exodons later because i think neons would just get eaten.
Theres not going to be many plants, right now theres just some hydrocotyle leucocephala floating. Will get some pics tommorow! :D

2/3 giant aquaria sealant ones lol, came to about £25 which i think is reasonable :D

That's a bold, but very convincing scape--just like something you could see out in nature while out snorkeling.

Those threadfin acaras will look fantastic in there.

just an update: it now has a black ghost knifefish and a pimelodus ornatus
I sold the green terror as i'd had enough of the bullying, and I am planning on selling the two male acaras as they are fighting with each other and don't like new additions. I will put in a shoal of geophagus/gymnogeophagus

I am also adding large boulders to the tank when i get back from singapore and will begin moving amazon frogbit from my other tank. I know have 2 36w t5s and a nicer wood cover.
I will also add some plants- either echinodorus bleheri, java fern or crinum thaianum. However the last two are not south american.
I have just converted to RO recently as i need this for another tank anyway and it will cut down algae and be better for the SA fish.
Will take a picture in a few weeks when i'm back and this is all done!

Really natural. A great idea done well!! What's the plans for stocking? Are you done now or will you be adding anything else? Can imagine a good shoal of tetras weaving through the roots.

Thanks,im done with stocking i think theres a large gold nugget, pim ornatus and black ghost knifefish there that aren't shown in the picture. I think tetras would get eaten

Back