• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this plant?

keymaker

What do you think the background plant from the right of this ADA tank is?
c0119618_8495083.jpg

Another tank from the gallery (on the left) should have the same BG plant... I think...
aday.jpg

It's definitely not Valisneria... Could it be Cyperus Helferi?

Hi there, I was thinking it was Vallisneria nana, which does tend to grow quite tall though not as tall as other vallis species but the leaves are much narrower?

Andy

My money is on vallisneria americana natans.
I recognise it as I added some to my tank just yesterday!

If it is a vallis whatever the variety, you need to bear in mind that it doesn't work well with any liquid carbon if you use it.

Just re-read this why do you think "It's definitely not Valisneria... " ????

viktorlantos said:
not v nana as it is too narrow, too dense, too straight.
That is why I guessed vallis natans instead of vallis nana ;)
Although I will readily admit there are quite a few vallis species so it could easily be something else.

Mr Amano uses a plant alot in his scapes that's native to Japan. I can't recall the exact first part of the name. You will find it in nature aquarium world, book 2. Something like Esoetes Japonica.

Graeme Edwards said:
Mr Amano uses a plant alot in his scapes that's native to Japan. I can't recall the exact first part of the name. You will find it in nature aquarium world, book 2. Something like Esoetes Japonica.

You on the money...
Isoetes japonica
f0201144_16403793.jpg

http://aquamedia.exblog.jp/12561388/

Thanks for the answers!

Been thinking before if it's Isoetes, but the leaves from the plant in question seem wider, as far as I can tell from the pictures. (Not much info on the Isoetes on the web).

After reading your opinions I tend to think that it's valis, will buy some Tropica stuff as Mark suggested and go with that. I'm a little afraid of the uncontrolled spreading this plant can show, but I need some narrow-leaf stuff. Not Eleocharis or Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae - something between...

Isoetes has terete (knitting needle-like) leaves so that's not it. Vallisneria all have a somewhat obtuse leaf apex (like a butter knife) whereas the plant in the pic has a very long and tapering apex (like a dagger). It is Echinodorus angustifolius! It propagates by short stolons which accounts for the dense clumps.

Cheers

Robin

Just had a quick look in "Aquarium Plants" by Rataj & Horeman. And after looking at description and pic of E. angustifolius I am satified that this is it. In the description Rataj states that it is newly described (the book was published in 1977!) and from Mato Grosso, southern Brazil and although a non-tropical species it adapts very well to heated aquaria. Furthermore it has as many as 20 leaves per plant that reach up to 40 cm in length.

Cheers

Robin

Back