• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transporting a 120l tank from one place to another.

Hi all,

I have an 120 litre aquarium with an external filter. The tank has a soil toped with sand base and live plants and fish.
I need to move the tank to another office as I have been moved.

How is the best way to do this?

If it is just to another office in the same building, you could empty the water and move the tank and soil/sand base. I would also save as much of the water as possible, in a large bucket and store the fish in multiple large bags (the type you get from the aquarium store).
If the move is to another building I think you would have to strip the tank down and start again. When I move houses I usually set up a small tank at the new location to house the fish and plants while I start again on my main tank (100l).

Depending on how robust your fish (and you!) are, you could just move them in the tank... I moved a 90L planted community tank a couple of times with the help of a friend just by emptying out 90% of the water, leaving everything in and then refilling at the other end. No losses on either occaision.

I've done this several times.

Syphon off a bucket full of water, put your filter inlet and outlet in there and turn it on, then add your fish to the bucket.

Syphon off as much of the water out of the tank as possible, until there is only water left in the substrate. Try and save as much tank water as is feasible for refilling in your new destination.

Cover the top of the tank in cling film if it's open top. If it has a hood then you should be fine, providing the move takes less than an hour. Try and spray the plants with water as often as possible.

Grab a piece of chip board or similar, rope in a few colleagues and have each one hold a corner of the chipboard. Slide the tank from the cabinet onto the chipboard. Use this to transport the tank to it's new destination. This way minimises stress on the glass and makes it more manageable to maneuver.

Your fish and filter will be ok when you switch the power off but try and keep this time to around half an hour.

So, get your big guns out and good luck!

Back