• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TMC AquaGro MicroHabitat - PFK Subs Offer

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Some of you may be already aware but PFK have a very interesting offer for new subscribers.

Check it out here -

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... p?sid=3240

and a step-by-step with video -

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... p?sid=3239

The tank is really good and it's so small it will fit almost anywhere. It's made of acrylic so it's much lighter and stronger than glass.

The filter capacity is huge for such a small tank, and with a turnover of 300lph (adjustable), it provides plenty of circulation.

The light looks cool and should provide enough PAR for most plants.

The tank's so small that a 250ml bottle of liquid carbon or fertiliser will last you ages! You could probably even get away with using old substrate from an existing larger tank, and plant cuttings to get you started. Hardscape could be locally collected too.

A perfect little shrimp tank, I reckon.

If there's enough of you that do get one, then I reckon we could run a mini aquascaping contest based on these tanks, and PFK would probably be able to offer a prize.

If you're a bit dubious about subscribing (it's a financial commitment, after all) because PFK content lately has been very fish biology/taxonomy bias, then I can assure you that they'll be a lot planted tank and aquascaping stuff coming up regularly from now on.

I think it's something worth considering if you fancy a nice little tank and a decent magazine to read every month.

If you could pay monthly I'd have been tempted, though my old PFK cube is sitting empty still :)

nry said:
If you could pay monthly I'd have been tempted, though my old PFK cube is sitting empty still :)

You can sign up monthly. 2 year Direct debit.

Doesn't say how much each month so maybe wrongly I am assuming £4/month?

Maybe George can clear that one up. A bit bad for them to not detail this little bit of ifo. Is quite important :)

I just did it anyway so I would be quite interested in how much and how often the direct debits will be for if only to enter them into my budget.

And yes the message above does mean that Andy Cole just bought something. lol

AC

Nope they take the dd every 24 months

They should detail that on the page!!! Oh well. Off to cancel that then.

Little disappointed now :(

George - You should have a word. 'Its in the smallprint' is not viable in UK courts these days'

AC

SuperColey1 said:
They should detail that on the page!!! Oh well. Off to cancel that then.

Little disappointed now :(

George - You should have a word. 'Its in the smallprint' is not viable in UK courts these days'

AC

I canceled it as well, last time I signed up by dd they took the payments every 3 months which I was expecting this time. Can't afford for that amount to be taken this close Christmas

I was going to for this as it says in the mag 'why pay by DD?' - spread the cost. 1 payment of £92, not really spreading the cost!

I can only assume that the lump sum payment is there to prevent folk getting their tank, then cancelling the Direct Debit right after. Otherwise it would be possible to get the tank for almost free.

Maybe PFK editorial (I am not am employee of PFK - just a freelance contributor) will reply on this thread to help clarify the matter.

I realise for those on a tight budget that £93 is a lot to ask in one lump, even for 26 issues of PFK magazine and £59.99 worth of aquarium that would usually retail at a total cost of around £160.

Well that is just blahblahblahblahblahblahblahs, Can't afford to have that much go out in one DD. Shame as I would have they learnt from the mistakes they made last time they did this kind of offer.

Still inclined to get this, do you guys think that you could get a nice Iwaguimi in there with the LED lighting? If so what kinda plants would I be looking at?

billy boy said:
Thats a shame :( Why do they work it that way when they state in the terms that they reserve the right to reclaim the gift/value of the gift if you cancel your subscription before the end of the agreed term, :?

http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/store/d ... 3&id=38883

You stole my words. Whilst it doesn't mention it is a a whole £93 payment it does mention that you can cancel the subscription at any time but if any gift is related to the subscription then they can ask for the gift to be returned (my words not theirs. but along the right lines of their details)

I am disappointed though Even if it were every 3 months like posted above I would've gone for this. As it is I am now having to write e-mails and wait for the DD to appear on my bank to cancel because of misleading information.

Its a great looking little tank and a great incentive to purchase the magazine but the incentive would be much much better if only they could spread the cost. However thats me not trusting now!!! That would've been my first ever purchase of the magazine by any means!!!

Will be interesting to see what a representative of PFK says about this.

George I don't blame you. It is a great offer and I saw it via e-mail newsletter the other day and thought Mmmm I like that. However its the lack of detail that made me get all excited as in 'yes I can get this, yes its more than the tank costs, but a few quid each month isn't a problem' only to be informed at the e-mail after completion that it will be a single payment.

After all if we could get a decent little tank in 'our mum's' catalogue for a couple of quid a week then we'd get it :)

Current climate and all, they should be trying to get all the sales they can (I would've thought.)

p.s. nice video and write up. That was what swung me from Mmmm to Yes.

AC

Luketendo said:
Still inclined to get this, do you guys think that you could get a nice Iwaguimi in there with the LED lighting? If so what kinda plants would I be looking at?
I'd say so. The tank is relatively tall, so you'd have to choose your rocks and position carefully i.e. very vertical.

I don't know the PAR of the lighting, but with appropriate nutrient dosing, you should able to grow most plants suitable for a tiny 'scape i.e. HC, hairgrass, fine stems etc.

£93 is a good deal IMO (payment spreading issues aside). 26 issues on there own in the shops would total around £100, plus you're getting a nice little tank.

Great Magazines, are offering no help and Will not Cancel. They Just have just stated that the Tank orders have already been printed. And that it is Our Responsibilty to Return the Tanks to TMC or PFK.
So Will Cancel with the bank. WOW PFK are really not wanting new customers if this is the way they want to go.
I would advise to make screen prints of PFK, as Great magazines will be in contact with PFK to get the Misleading Text Changed.

I was tempted by this, but having only ever purchased one issue of PKF b4 (this months/Nov), the one off payment and the experiences of the ppl above I've been put right off!

I'd rather just spend £59.99 on an ace looking nana and save the £23!

Gill said:
Great Magazines, are offering no help and Will not Cancel. They Just have just stated that the Tank orders have already been printed. And that it is Our Responsibilty to Return the Tanks to TMC or PFK.
So Will Cancel with the bank. WOW PFK are really not wanting new customers if this is the way they want to go.
I would advise to make screen prints of PFK, as Great magazines will be in contact with PFK to get the Misleading Text Changed.

Not PFK's fault. You click on the link and it goes straight to Great Magazines pages. They should state on there it is a one off payment. So any good solicitors on here? lol.

If they send it to me they can either let me pay quarterly or collect it. Bad news for them but then big companies and all. A pity because they tar PFK with their bad practice. If they push all they will get is a standing order setup over the next 2 years. 'intent to pay' is legal if I'm not mistaken. I have no problem with paying for it. and do like the tank but not 1 payment. that would mean no road tax on the car :(

Personally the above is worthless IMO. I sent the e-mail to cancel within 15 minutes of clicking subscribe.

Sorry about this George. Is a good deal, a good tank and a worthy offer. Just the practices of 'great magazines' ruining it.

Gill - HAve they already replied to you or is that on the web somewhere? They haven't replied to me yet.

I do have to say I can't see any mention of 'spreading the cost' unless anyone has a link. Just say 24 month direct debit which implies installments. That however is on 'great magazines' site. PFK makes no mention of price, payment type etc. That is solely once you are redirected to 'GM'

AC

Gill - HAve they already replied to you or is that on the web somewhere? They haven't replied to me yet.

Yeah I spent over 10 Mins on the Phone with the Bauer group, who are overseeing things. They would not budge stating that although the wording is not correct it stated over 24Months. So they said to simply cancel the DD with the bank as they are already In process of Being Setup. And then Your Responsibility to return the Tank to Either PFK or TMC.

If I buy anything over DD it will come up with a pre confirmation screen detailing the frequency and amount to be taken. this did not appear at all in the process. Not until the e-mail I saw this.

I will give them the option though. Collect it or accept standing orders quarterly. Wording is key in this game and 24 months implies increments.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
If I buy anything over DD it will come up with a pre confirmation screen detailing the frequency and amount to be taken. this did not appear at all in the process. Not until the e-mail I saw this.

I will give them the option though. Collect it or accept standing orders quarterly. Wording is key in this game and 24 months implies increments.

AC

Exactly No frequences in the process at all, I was waiting for a Screen to come up and state by when and how much, but nothing.
Yep, the frequency was only stated in the email i recieved with my subscription number.

Back