• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

English woodland Long overdue update

John Starkey

Hi all, hope your all well,after selling my 450ltr tank 7 months ago i felt it was time i set up another one be it very much smaller,after visiting Aquajardin last week i got my self a Dennerle 60ltr nano,since i spend of lot of time in the forest of dean,cannock chase and other places of natural beauty i thought it would be nice to have a little bit of woodland in my front room,hence the name English woodland,hopefully i can try and do something that resembles a bit of woodland,
Tank specs = 38cm X 38cmX 43cm 60ltr,s
lighting will be one aquadistri 18 watt at first and if i need more light i will add a second of the same make and wattage,
substrate is Columbo Flora base 10ltr bag
Plant list
christmas moss or versicularia, has anyone tried christmas moss ?
staurogyne repens
Microsorum pteropus Narrow
Marsilea hursuta,has anyone tried this plant,
hopefully i can make the setup interesting reading with some pictures as i go and look forward to your comments/advice

regards,
john

Re: English woodland

Marsilea hirsuta will be an excellent plant for this size of tank. It is dead easy to grow, but gets a bit taller than Marsilea crenata in my experience, and is slower growing. Mine chucks out the odd three leaf clover, but I cut those off as they look out of place.

I`m looking forward to seeing the Staurogyne repens.

By the way, is 60l a nano?

Dave.

P.S. The Marsilea hirsuta may not be too fond of having Excel added anywhere near it. I think I burnt some of mine recently when I chucked a dose in by it at low level during a water change. I am pretty sure the Excel sitting around for a few minutes in the water whilst there was no current burnt some Marsilea h.

By the way, is 60l a nano?
Hi Dave,it says so on the box :lol: ,thanks for the info about the Marsilea,i am looking forward to doing this little tank,
regards,
john.

Can't wait, John, I'm certain it'll be to your usual exceptional high standard.

This one looks like an interesting scape in the making, i can't wait to see pics. I'm deferently subscribed for this one.

Sounds great Jonny Boy, i'm sure you've picked up a mass of inspiration from your wood trecking, even if you don't know it!

Marsilia is a cracking choice, it should suit the forest look very well. Depending on the scape, I recon Juncus repens may work well as it has a very "wild" look to it?

Can't wait to see it buddy :thumbup:

Thanks for the being so enthusiastic,hope I can do something worthwhile,well I have ordered the plants I have gone for weeping moss instead of Xmas moss,so planting day is this Fridy,I forgot to mention that filtration will be via a eheim pro 3 250 ,
Regards john

john starkey said:
Thanks for the being so enthusiastic,hope I can do something worthwhile,well I have ordered the plants I have gone for weeping moss instead of Xmas moss,so planting day is this Fridy,I forgot to mention that filtration will be via a eheim pro 3 250 ,
Regards john

The nice thing about christmas moss is the formation, a little like fern, which would have been great for an English woodland. I dont know about the weeping moss but from pictures I have seen it is quite different.

Here the scape i have settled on,its what i can see in my minds eye from the forest of dean,i am sure some will like it and some not :rolleyes:,i may tweek the stones a little but the wood i am happy with.
IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

i am fetching my plants later today from aquajardin so i may get some of them in today,
regards,
john.

Re: English woodland PICTURES

Really nice John, really natural. Can't wait to see it planted!

Oh, the Marsilia may hide your rocks once growing so i'd consider some larger ones.

john starkey said:
Oh, the Marsilia may hide your rocks once growing so i'd consider some larger ones.thanks Dan,i have been looking at it all after noon and you a right the stones need to be a bit bigger, :thumbup: cheers mate,
regards,
john.

Hi dan,yes your right i realised this afternoon as i was looking at it i will replace them tomorrow during planting,
cheers mate.

is it at all possible to twist the v shaped wood through about 45 degrees so that it raises up slightly from the substrate on the right hand side? I think it'd help make the scape feel more dynamic, especially once you've some bigger rocks in.

Looks Great, John, Keep the pictures coming! :thumbup:

Back