• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tmc micro habitat

mdhardy01

Hi guys
Am thinking of getting a tmc micro habitat as featured in pfk
Question is would one of these be ok for shrimp if so how many and
What type would you recommend ?
I like cherries but would crs be ok not top grades but lower
And how many would you recommend
Thanks
Matt :thumbup:

Thanks Tom
Would crs be ok?
And yes I thought about doing a scape a bit like the one George did in pfk but covering the wood in moss and trying a hc carpet
Mat

I expect CRS would be fine, lower grade ones are not as tricky as made out to be.
but if your just starting out int he shrimp world I would go for the cherries as they are super tough :)

My daughter has 6 of those in her tank and I swear you could keep them in a pint glass with a twice daily water change they are that small!!!

erm, if you want to play fish, ANY fish (even otocinculus), then please dont use crs (even low grades). Use cherries :) They look just as nice, if not nicer, and if you get really nice cherries, they cost loads more than low grade CRS. Besides, i personally think that grade A, B and C CRS look really really ugly, but thats of course personal pref. I'd rather go for cherries. If you want, you could try going for yellow shrimp (yellow variation of cherry shrimp). They are exotic too, but with the hardiness of the cherry shrimp. And they look nice ^^

Shrimp tanks should be pure shrimp tanks, if u want to do any serious shrimp keeping. but if the emphasis is on your landscape, cherries are better.

Shrimptastic said:
erm, if you want to play fish, ANY fish (even otocinculus), then please dont use crs (even low grades). Use cherries :) They look just as nice, if not nicer, and if you get really nice cherries, they cost loads more than low grade CRS. Besides, i personally think that grade A, B and C CRS look really really ugly, but thats of course personal pref. I'd rather go for cherries. If you want, you could try going for yellow shrimp (yellow variation of cherry shrimp). They are exotic too, but with the hardiness of the cherry shrimp. And they look nice ^^

Shrimp tanks should be pure shrimp tanks, if u want to do any serious shrimp keeping. but if the emphasis is on your landscape, cherries are better.

100% disagree.
Once shrimps are settled into there environment they will behave as they would without fish presnt if there is no risk of predation.
My shrimps often swim midwater in my nano and that is stocked witha range of nano fish.

Whats your objection to crs with fish? :)
Id say low grade crs are just as hardy as a half decent cherry shrimp.

:text-+1: what Luke said.

You have to be very careful with your fish choice, but as long as you are, then shrimps are fine with them (eg. I keep boraras brigittae and shrimp together).

I'd go for just 5 of whatever shrimp you put in.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm getting the same tank and want to keep CRS. I've kept and of course they bred, Cherry shrimp but I want to know what would be the best grade CRS to start off with? Don't worry I'm not gonna keep any fish.

lol, mate. Fish eat shrimp, fullstop. Even if they don't eat the big ones, they eat the small ones. Even otocinculus, one of the only shrimp safe fish, scare the living daylights out of shrimp (sometimes), and stress can kill them. You are right in that it is possible to keep cherry shrimp or crs with a whole load of other fish, but its a difference between having 20 cherry shrimp grow to a total size of 25 shrimp after 2 months, as opposed to 20 cherry shrimp growing to a total size of 200 after 2 months. The babies just get massacred most of the time.

at any rate, ur right about low grade crs (grades A,B and C) and cherry shrimp. But if i'm gonna keep a mosura, or a king kong, no way i'm letting even an otocinculus fry get near to them. lol! although of course i understand that this thread is about low grade crs.

maybe its just me :D maybe i just dont like low grade crs. The see through bits of them are a little off-putting. I'd go solid cherries any day over them. Fire reds ^^

*waves a big banner saying "get cherries instead" on it*

Anyway, back to your point about my point about fish and shrimp, try visiting some websites on shrimp keeping, they all say the same thing. Best shrimp tanks are shrimp only tanks :) You know why I know this? Because I've always wanted to keep mini fishes with my shrimps, just because :p but i've never had yet found one solid report stating that it is a good idea. Not from any of the "pro breeder" sites that I've visited, or through convos from breeders that I personally know.

I have to admit tho, I have a single otocinulus in my tank. He is taking forever to die. lol :X

Shrimptastic said:
although of course i understand that this thread is about low grade crs.

sorry to be a pain but the original thread was how many i could keep in this tank and recommendations
my reason for asking about low grade crs is that i have never kept them before and thought the lower grades would be a bit hardier than higher grades i have and do keep cherries in my 500ltr (thanks sam) wich breed well i just thought that crs even lower grades would look visually better in a smaller tank

thanks
matt

Hi all,
The main problem with all the really small volume tanks is that it is very hard to maintain any form of stability, as you haven't got any buffering or "economies of scale". As an example they heat up and cool down very quickly because of the lack of thermal mass. A tank of 500 litres is easier to manage than one of 50 litres, and once you are getting under 10litres they are inherently very unstable indeed. I'd go for a very low bio-load (5 shrimps sounds fine), low tech and place the tank somewhere where you can keep a good eye on it. Personally I'd also do a 30% water change every day.

cheers Darrel

mdhardy01 said:
Shrimptastic said:
although of course i understand that this thread is about low grade crs.

sorry to be a pain but the original thread was how many i could keep in this tank and recommendations
my reason for asking about low grade crs is that i have never kept them before and thought the lower grades would be a bit hardier than higher grades i have and do keep cherries in my 500ltr (thanks sam) wich breed well i just thought that crs even lower grades would look visually better in a smaller tank

thanks
matt

To be honest, whatever you think looks visually better, IS visually better. End of story. :) It's your tank after all.

So you want to keep crs? well, i have some high grade ones so i'll just share what I know. 6.5pH, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, shelter, don't overfeed, 23-24 degrees temp. Don't expect them to breed in the presence of fish, but do expect them to survive. (They should)

CRS ARE NOT = cherries.

In the end, you must remember that all CRS are, in essence, mutants, while cherries aren't really. They are just wild-type with smaller gene pools. ^^ Thats possibly why CRS are harder to keep, but its obviously only 1 of the reasons.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
The main problem with all the really small volume tanks is that it is very hard to maintain any form of stability, as you haven't got any buffering or "economies of scale". As an example they heat up and cool down very quickly because of the lack of thermal mass. A tank of 500 litres is easier to manage than one of 50 litres, and once you are getting under 10litres they are inherently very unstable indeed. I'd go for a very low bio-load (5 shrimps sounds fine), low tech and place the tank somewhere where you can keep a good eye on it. Personally I'd also do a 30% water change every day.

cheers Darrel

Please don't do 30% water change everyday. I'm sorry, but your shrimp will die if you do that. lol. You aren't keeping a stingray or an arrowana. You're keeping shrimp, and they can't handle such drastic water changes all the time.Other than this, daniel is right.

The tank is going to be planted so plenty of shelter I use ro on my 500 ltr so ph 6.5 no probs
It's going to be in my living room so watched all the time (this is also where I have my big one)
I had planed low tech and just topping up so no large water changes to keep the water as stable as pos
Many thanks
Matt

Re:

mdhardy01 said:
The tank is going to be planted so plenty of shelter I use ro on my 500 ltr so ph 6.5 no probs
It's going to be in my living room so watched all the time (this is also where I have my big one)
I had planed low tech and just topping up so no large water changes to keep the water as stable as pos
Many thanks
Matt

Good choice. Keep the water parameters in check, and u shud be fine. I know people who BREED (not simply keep alive) really really high grade shrimp in tanks that are smaller than yours. But i guess the diff is that they obviously have no fish in there. Cancel the factors out (low grade shrimp but with fish) and you may just have yourself a nice tank :) go for it, goodluck :)

Many thanks not sure if I'm going to add fish might just start with the crs and see how it goes

Attachments

• mobileimage.jpg
    mobileimage.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 127
Back