• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Parotocinclus Nanay Eanea

John Starkey

Hi All,i saw some of these for sale in Aquajardin today and its a new fish on me,i have googled the name but still non the wiser,can anyone shed some light on these,i can only presume it a cat fish of sorts,they were very very tiny,but lovley little things,
regards,
john.

Does that constitute a Google Whack given there's only one result? Not much use either, only lists it against 'Pleco Nanay' which also returns nothing of use. I assume it is a relation of the otocinculus?

Was it any of these? http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ge ... enus_id=72

Quick review of the Parotocinclus family would suggest they all seem to be vegetarian/omnivorous, generally not more than 2" long, peaceful community fish that prefer slightly cooler water in the low-mid twenties. Best kept in groups in a planted tank with bogwood and sandy substrate..

Vaguelly related to otos, yes. From Brazil.

They're tiny and stay tiny by and large. I have no knowledge on that particular species but I kept paraotocinclus sp. "jimmi" and they need very high levels of o2 and didn't seem to be as bold as "standard" otos. Such pretty fish though, like a fancy oto regarding colour patterns.

Thanks for the info guys ,they are so tiny these fish and are gorgeous looking things,
cheers,
john.

ghostsword said:
Do you know of any shop around London that would stock these fish?

Wholesale tropicals get parotocinclus in.
Think it is the LDA25 species they stock regularly'ish.

As mentioned earlier they'll require high o2 and will probably be trick coustomers to acclimatise to aquarium conditions. The 'Naney Eanea' will more than likely mean where the fish was collected.

Hi all,
The 'Nanay Eanea' will more than likely mean where the fish was collected.
I think it is probably the collection site as well. Julio Melgar is active in that area (Upper Amazon region, nr. Loreto Peru) and several commercially available Corydoras and Apistogramma species were collected from the Rio Nanay.

LDA25 (Parotocinclus jumbo) is the most commonly seen species, but this will be another different one, "Planet Catfish" doesn't have any Parotocinclus sp. recorded for the Rio Nanay, but does have some Corydoras spp. including C. elegans & C. loretoensis, and a Loricariid catfish Panaque changae.
Have a look here to see if you can find them here: <http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=72>

The water would be quite warm, but it would be very soft and good quality with virtually no TDS. As suggested they are likely to be very tricky to acclimatise.

The fish themselves are very like Otocinclus in behaviour and appearance, but Parotocinclus have an adipose fin.

cheers Darrel

Still doing fine my 2 paraotocinclus jumbo and they have 2 years now in my hard water tank. Temp. is around 27C.
Unfortunately they are not very active during the day.
They tend to blend in the gravel color :)

Cheers,
Mike

Back