• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank. (now with ADA Solar 1)

andyh said:
I am also just about to order a CO2 reactor to replace my UP atomizer, that should be fitted over the weekend, my main reason for this is two get away from the mist. I want clear water :lol:
Have you considered putting the UP atomizer on the inlet of the filter, instead of the outlet? That's what I've done in my iwagumi. 100% diffusion with no bubbles, and cheaper than a reactor.

sanj said:
Would that not have some impact on aerobic bacteria in the filter?

I have also thought along these lines and like you put the Up atomiser on the outlet.

Andy, If i recall your Up atomiser is not on your biological filter, but your one filled with carbon.
In which case well worth trying what george suggests.

Cheers

George Farmer said:
andyh said:
I am also just about to order a CO2 reactor to replace my UP atomizer, that should be fitted over the weekend, my main reason for this is two get away from the mist. I want clear water :lol:
Have you considered putting the UP atomizer on the inlet of the filter, instead of the outlet? That's what I've done in my iwagumi. 100% diffusion with no bubbles, and cheaper than a reactor.

George,

Does this not cause filter problems? I did the same thing with a ceramic diffuser and the filter couldnt take the gas bubbles so all of a sudden I'd get an explosion of air being forced out the spray bars.

I've just ordered an UP Atomizer and having looked at the video on youtube, its a lot finer bubbles than a typical ceramic jobbie?

George Farmer said:
andyh said:

bogwood said:
sanj said:
Would that not have some impact on aerobic bacteria in the filter?
I have also thought along these lines and like you put the Up atomiser on the outlet.
Andy, If i recall your Up atomiser is not on your biological filter, but your one filled with carbon.
In which case well worth trying what george suggests.
Cheers

Guys what a great idea!

George cheers :thumbup:

Sanj, Bogwood is right this filter is just Carbon and and filter wool so no problem there as my 2075 deals with the biological side of things

I will keep you updated!

Andy :D

So i switched the inline UP atomiser from my outlet to my inlet on my external filter, and it works a treat. Not a single bubble in the tank!

My CO2 for the first time turned the drop checker yellow, (approx. 3hrs) so i turned the bubble rate down. Which i have to be honest is real surprise. The filter just has the two filter pads in (1 coarse and 1 floss) plus a mesh bag of Carbon so in essence its working like a CO2 reactor now. Will report back in a week on how its going. The beauty is my other filter is doing all the biological work.

Also planted a few new plants, will post some details and pics soon

Hi Andy,

Really love this tank, looking good. I <3 the electric blue rams so much :lol: How do you find them? Are they pretty hardy or skittish? Where did you get them from?

You have been busy. :clap:
I know for weeks now you have been unable to get your drop checker to show yellow, so somthing has changed for the better. And a bonus to actual turn the bubble rate down, whilst achieving it. :thumbup:
If all goes well for you i may consider a similar set up with my Up atomiser.
Look fowards to seeing the taank with new plants you have acquired.

andyh said:
My CO2 for the first time turned the drop checker yellow, (approx. 3hrs) so i turned the bubble rate down. Which i have to be honest is real surprise.
I'm no science buff but I would say your getting better diffusion into the water where the impeller of the filter is chopping the mist even finer so you've got total dissolution before it reaches the tank = better efficiency = yellow drop checker?

Nice one though - its very satisfying when something 'clicks' and works well. :thumbup:

bogwood said:

me too :thumbup:

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Hi Andy,

Really love this tank, looking good. I <3 the electric blue rams so much :lol: How do you find them? Are they pretty hardy or skittish? Where did you get them from?

Hi Lisa

Thanks for your kind comments, the Electric blue rams are very cool and actually look as good with the lights off as they do on. The metallic blue sheen is awesome! I have 4 of them and they were purchased from TGM. I have seen some elsewhere but the colours were no where as solid as these ones.

They are actually very boisterous fish, they regularly nibble my hand when doing maintenance. They seem pretty hardy, but i am regular as clock work with water changes. I feed them a mixed diet there fav by far is blood worm, but take flake and prima no problem.

Andy

bogwood said:
You have been busy. :clap:
I know for weeks now you have been unable to get your drop checker to show yellow, so somthing has changed for the better. And a bonus to actual turn the bubble rate down, whilst achieving it. :thumbup:
Look fowards to seeing the taank with new plants you have acquired.

Yes its weird how previously the best i could get on the DC was green and now yellow with the same bubble rate :geek:
NeilW said:
andyh said:
My CO2 for the first time turned the drop checker yellow, (approx. 3hrs) so i turned the bubble rate down. Which i have to be honest is real surprise.
I'm no science buff but I would say your getting better diffusion into the water where the impeller of the filter is chopping the mist even finer so you've got total dissolution before it reaches the tank = better efficiency = yellow drop checker?

Nice one though - its very satisfying when something 'clicks' and works well. :thumbup:

Neil, exactly my thoughts, two filter pads, a mesh bag of carbon and an impeller to get through!
Aeropars said:
Andy, Are you getting any gas build up in the filter though? A sign would be a sudden blurt of bubbles coming out the filter?
I aint seen one yet, still watching though will keep this thread updated. :geek:

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank

Hi Andy, feel compelled to let you know that I think your tank has grown into a thing of beauty and congratulations on your baby girl but your thread caused me to lose a good hour of my life and made me late for work :D just because it was so interesting! Take care and enjoy both baby and tank
Dave

Looking really nice Andy,How much diiference/or effect do think the new lighting has made to plant growth ?
cheers :thumbup: .

mrjackdempsey said:
Hi Andy, feel compelled to let you know that I think your tank has grown into a thing of beauty and congratulations on your baby girl but your thread caused me to lose a good hour of my life and made me late for work :D just because it was so interesting! Take care and enjoy both baby and tank
Dave
Dave
Thanks very much for your comments, gald you like it, Its always good to get some positive feedback and keeping the journal going is hard work but helps me document my journey, and if it helps a few others even better! :thumbup:
P.s Sorry i made you late for work :lol: :lol:
Andy
john starkey said:
Looking really nice Andy,How much diiference/or effect do think the new lighting has made to plant growth ?
cheers :thumbup: .
Hey John, the light has defo given more plant growth throughout the whole tank especially the plants in the lower levels which are starting to flourish. Also the light spread is very good.
The best bit by far is the colour rendition the "green" ADA bulb is stunning.

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (HD Video)

Here is a quick HD video i have put together of my tank last night. The more observant of you will notice some changes :D :geek: Its also the first video with my ADA Solar light.
You can adjust what video quality you want i would recommend 720p
HD Lounge tank video

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (new HD Video)

never new the XX would go so well with a tank! Great vid Andy, you got some flow on there mate, what is the turnover of the tank at the moment, mate?

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (new HD Video)

George Farmer said:
Cool video. Gotta love 'xx' too. You got taste.
XX is my current Favourite been listening to their album a hell of a lot!
ianho said:
never new the XX would go so well with a tank! Great vid Andy, you got some flow on there mate, what is the turnover of the tank at the moment, mate?
XX rocks!
I have got some flow thats very true, turnover last time i calculated x33 per hour. :lol:

Back