• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree - New fish and photos

Incredible, IMO well up there with Amano with both the 'scaping and photography. Something definitely to aspire to for us mere mortals. :thumbup:

Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

George Farmer said:
Not much to report really.

I removed the spray bar to see what effect, if any, the direct nozzle gives on plant growth.

5009447783_b3e7318ece_b.jpg

I've also added a few small pieces of Mini Landscape Rock aka Seiryu Stone to the foreground. I simply smashed up a spare piece up with an old axe (eye protection is recommended).

5010051928_accce64773_b.jpg

I scrubbed the rocks with a wire brush to remove the stubborn algae. I actually removed each rock and cleaned them individually before replacing into a similar position. I made some very minor adjustments, but I'm not sure if anyone will notice...

5009447539_5bc95ddb27_b.jpg

It seems my worrying about algae covering the substrate was unnecessary, and the plants remain algae-free also.

So this is somewhat a surprising success so far, as it's now almost 3 months running, and one of the most trouble-free and low maintenance aquascapes I've run so far. Who says you need to plant heavily?!

Here's a re-cap of the specs -

Tank - Aqua Essentials 60x30x36cm German OptiWhite and cabinet
Light - 1 x 24w HO T5 9000K 8 hours
Filter - 1200lph external with inline heater
CO2 - 2Kg FE with Dennerle reg on solenoid, inline Boyu diffuser
Ferts - 3ml TPN+ and 3ml Seachem Excel per day
Substrate - Unipac Maui Sand (inert)
Maintenance - 50% WC per week
Plants - Eleocharis acicularis
Fish - Glowlight tetra and Amano shrimp

For the photographers all shots were taken with tank lighting only and my 50D with 17-70mm Sigma lens.

Hi george,i used the direct nozzle method on my two eheim 2028,s in the big tank, it produced great flow alround,
loving the cardinals,
regards,
john.

clonitza said:
It does look very nice George. You can add a dwarf ciclid pair there, let them spawn, feed & watch the little ones .. :)
Thanks. I like dwarf cichlids, especially colourful Apistogrammas and Rams, but I don't feel they're really suited to this aquascape, in my view. Thanks for the feedback though. :)

NeilW said:
Incredible, IMO well up there with Amano with both the 'scaping and photography. Something definitely to aspire to for us mere mortals.
Wow! Now there's the best compliment someone like me could ever hope for. I don't quite agree, but thank you so much anyway. :D

Mark Evans said:
These fish suit the scape way better than the others.
Glad you approve, Mark. Thanks! :)

john starkey said:
Hi george,i used the direct nozzle method on my two eheim 2028,s in the big tank, it produced great flow alround,
loving the cardinals,
regards,
john.
Thanks, John. :D

Growth has improved with this over the spraybar, which was a surprise for me.

Here's another shot. For your interest the ripples are created via my filter outlet and the lighting is simply 4 x T5.

5072828182_536890c202_b.jpg

When I watch my lush latino scape I tend to get all the crazy ideas on moving stones, plants, a different trimming maybe but when I watch yours I can only think at that Japanese guy in his garden moving the sand here and there all day long. I don't have any other ideas, it looks calm and perfect to me.

Have you switched from fork to sticks lately? :lol:

I totally agree with Neil on photography :).

Cheers,
Mike

the Cardinals are much more pleasing on the eye, George. Great last shot.

Thats looking awesome George. Super clean too - classic Farmer but stop polishing your rocks and lets see a bit of algae on them......

ianho said:
the Cardinals are much more pleasing on the eye, George. Great last shot.
Thanks! :)

Dan Crawford said:
Thats looking awesome George. Super clean too - classic Farmer but stop polishing your rocks and lets see a bit of algae on them......
Thanks pal. I just can't handle dirty rocks in such an otherwise clean-looking tank! :D

George,

Awesome as ever, i always look forward to your next creation! Quick couple of questions if i may...

Lighting, a little confused. Mentioned above about 1x24w T5 and then further down 4x T5, which one? As i have just started my first Gumi and have 4x24w t5`s at my disposal i wondered wether you went to all 4 after a while of it settling down.

Substrate - Is that just sand with nothing underneath? I think i made a mistake on mine and just used OliverKnott substrate, now if i move anything i get dust on all the leaves.. Next time i think i`ll add some gravel on top!

Cheers,

ukco2guy said:
Awesome as ever, i always look forward to your next creation!
Thanks! :D

ukco2guy said:
Lighting, a little confused. Mentioned above about 1x24w T5 and then further down 4x T5, which one? As i have just started my first Gumi and have 4x24w t5`s at my disposal i wondered wether you went to all 4 after a while of it settling down.
Sorry for the confusion. The tank is usually lit with 1 x T5 for 8 hours. I use 4 x T5 for photography. I tend to use lower lighting as it means lower maintenance, lower cost, and less risk of algae.

ukco2guy said:
Substrate - Is that just sand with nothing underneath? I think i made a mistake on mine and just used OliverKnott substrate, now if i move anything i get dust on all the leaves.. Next time i think i`ll add some gravel on top!
This is plain Maui Sand from Unipac. It's completely inert and doesn't contain any nutrients. I've used it in a few aquascapes now and I really like it. I rely on TPN+ for my nutrient dosing.

George

Said it before but this is really a stunning creation!

If you find there aint enough on algae on your rocks and you need some to clean come over to mine and don't forget your toothbrush!

Andy

George,

I've noticed yu are starting to lower you rlighting in nearly all your recent scapes. Have you come across any plantswhich has not liked it and wouldn't grow?
What kind of WPG are you getting on these tanks?

I'm running 4 x T8's over a 180l but was wondering if I can reduce lighting any more yet still grow the likes of Blyxa?

Aeropars said:
George,

I've noticed yu are starting to lower you rlighting in nearly all your recent scapes. Have you come across any plantswhich has not liked it and wouldn't grow?
What kind of WPG are you getting on these tanks?

I'm running 4 x T8's over a 180l but was wondering if I can reduce lighting any more yet still grow the likes of Blyxa?
I've had to run higher lighting in my latest Dutch tank, as some of the "low down" plants were suffering due to taller plants overshadowing. Even then we're only talking 2wpg.

Better to concentrate on decent CO2/nutrients and their delivery via good circulation IME.

nice shot, George. Fits well into the living space. Nice lamp shade as well!

George Farmer said:
A recent in-situ shot. This is the dining area of my kitchen.

5082481032_be251bb503_b.jpg

I like in-situ shots. I think it's important for our aquascapes to fit nicely into our living spaces.

I love other people's in-situ shots as they always have lovely tidy houses! I'd have to spend a day cleaning before I dared pot an in-situ photo of my tanks :rolleyes:
As always, your tank is fantastic :D

George Farmer said:

I like in-situ shots. I think it's important for our aquascapes to fit nicely into our living spaces.

So i showed my wife Bex the above photo, i am afraid she didn't even notice the world class Aquascape in the corner, she simply said " I like that funky light fitting" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What luminaire are you using George? I'm wondering on reducing my lighting level sometime, and if that one holds the single T5, it's a good option :)

andyh said:
George Farmer said:

So i showed my wife Bex the above photo, i am afraid she didn't even notice the world class Aquascape in the corner, she simply said " I like that funky light fitting" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Andy thats unreal because my wife said the same about the light,i was showing her the picture of Georges little girl Florence,
Nice shot George.

Lovely shot George! I can't add anything to your scape. :) That's done. Beauty job.

The only comment i have is ....your scape shouts for a sleaker nicer lighting. Ask for a hanging Solar green or a hanging ATI from Santa :)

Back