• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (new HD Video)

Looking great, How much were the Rams Mine were £14 a Pair.

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (new HD Video)

Gill said:
Looking great, How much were the Rams Mine were £14 a Pair.
mine cost me more than that :rolleyes:

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (updated 19/10/10)

So one of the challenges i have found when taking a photo of the tank with a metal halide dangled above it, is light spill.

As the light is so bright it tends to cause massive reflections off objects all around the tank, me, the radiator, my armchair etc. So after seeing on a few sites were they built temporary surrounds for there tanks when taking photos, and a conversation with Tonser. I purchased some mounting card and started cutting and sticking. It did feel a bit like a Blue Peter Project. :lol:

I basically made this:
web.jpg

I have even designed it in such a way as that it folds up! Glad i finally used my engineering degree for something useful.
The difference is phenominal, more light gets reflected into the tank and from a photo persepctive makes things much easier (no reflections). The beauty being i can put it up in about 30 seconds!
When i get chance over the weekend i will try and capture a few nice pics :geek: (not talking Farmer or Evans standards but something i will be happy with ;) )

Here is one pic from tonight (with the surround) showing the new plants. As I discussed earlier in the thread i have pulled out the hairgrass carpet as it wasn't working for me.
web.jpg

Its now been replaced with:

Echinodorus Tenellus by Anubias. (grass type plant, in between rocks to the front) Purchased in gel pot form, have to say was very surprised with the qty of plant in these pots. I just washed the gel off under the tap and planted stems individually with tweezers. Should stay compact with the level of light.

Hydrocotyle Verticillata by Tropica (one of my fav plants) This is planted on the far right, this is growing well already! Should look cool once it fills in a bit

Hemianthus Callitichoides "Cuba" (HC) by Tropica. Another favourite of mine, planted front center, growing really well. Just wanted a nice carpet between the Staurogyne and the Tenellus.

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 19/10/10)

bogwood said:
You have been busy.
Why not keep as a permanent feature, and hide that "ugly light". :twisted:
Some good plant growth starting to appear. :thumbup:

Ahhhh Bogwood! You sarcasm is on form as normal! :crazy:
If you are well behaved when you come over on Friday i will let you see the Solar 1 :lol: :lol:

Looks very cool Andy,i liked the video on you tube,i have lots of coloured mount board i will have to try that myself with the tank shots,keep up the good work mate.

Mark Evans said:
the vids not their brother!

Thanks Mark :D

The Video is working now people, i got the code wrong :crazy:

john starkey said:
Looks very cool Andy,i liked the video on you tube,i have lots of coloured mount board i will have to try that myself with the tank shots,keep up the good work mate.

John, Cheers glad you like the video, the mounting board was easy to work with and its makes such a difference for the photos :thumbup:

viktorlantos said:
great work on the shaders! the photos are already better with it. :thumbup: :angelic:
Thanks Viktor, they i am impressed as it was cheap to do and the results are excellent
LondonDragon said:
Tank is looking awesome Andy, like the DIY for the photography great work ;)
Cheers Paulo, cant wait for it to fill in a little more. :D

Update

Things starting to take shape now, the new plants are all doing well apart from the HC. The fish decided they didn't like and pretty much dug it up so thats been moved out, and replaced with moss, Staurogyne and Tenellus.
web.jpg

The E.Tenellus took ages to get going but its now throwing out runners all over the place.
web.jpg

The Staurogyne has really grow back well after the harsh pruning, and is forming a nice carpet, my only bug bear is the older leaves have a slight dusting of algae.
web.jpg

I am regularly pruning the Rotala as i have now realised i didn't purchase enough to start with and i have been replanting the cuttings to get a nice dense look.
web.jpg

My only concern is that Mark Evans will be popping in over the weekend and it only gives me 6 days to make it look good! :crazy:

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 7/11/10)

Looks really nice and the java fern looks really lush and mature.

is it not in 2 weeks Andy? :lol:

I can see youve got slower growth to what you might me used to. much more managble this way :thumbup:

Krish's Bettas said:
Looks really nice and the java fern looks really lush and mature.
Cheers Krish, the interesting thing about the java fern is that i purchased two tropica pots of narrow and the leaves on this now are definitly not Narrow!
Mark Evans said:
is it not in 2 weeks Andy? :lol:
I can see youve got slower growth to what you might me used to. much more managble this way :thumbup:
:lol: Late night updates, combined with a JD and coke lead to stupidty! Yes Mark you are right its the 20th, Sorry! having a moment of stupidty! At least that gives me a little longer to get the tank up to standard.

The slower growth rates are killing me, i am used to higher energy setups. The only thing is its allowing me to time to focus a little more on the scaping and layout. :thumbup:
LondonDragon said:
Looking great Andy, I like the planting up front, will look great when it fills in ;)
Yeah it should look cool, just hope i can keep the Tenellus short enough

andyh said:
The slower growth rates are killing me, i am used to higher energy setups

just like me, your body and mind will suffer 'withdrawals' from the high growth rate attack.

just like a junky, you'll recover, cold turkey style :lol: but it will pass

What you guys need is two tanks, one very high tech and fast growing and the other what you have now, that way you have the best of both worlds ;) get those 60cm tanks running!

LondonDragon said:
What you guys need is two tanks, one very high tech and fast growing and the other what you have now, that way you have the best of both worlds get those 60cm tanks running!

but in order to have 2 tanks (for me at least) i first need a new wife, which will let me have 2 tanks. :angelic:

Back