• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

where to get huge bogwood

Nick16

hi all, where can i source large lumps of bogwood. - like the pieces people have for a 6 foot tank.

i want some really heft bits, like 3 foot+ in length, thick and heavy! i can only seem to find the tiny bits around here that are like 30-50cm long. i have searched fleabay and also aquaristclassifeds to no joy.

im in the surrey area if that helps.

Wharf aquatics in Nottinghamshire always have a great selection of massive wood.

I would Recommend contacting a few tree surgeons and see if they have some nice peices lying around. Also Any Local parks that are felling old trees or having some work done on trees. Does mean Having to soak them yourself and waiting for the Blooms to come and go. But if its free, it may be worth the wait. Also Farmers, tend to have large peices lying around in the fields. And if any have a Pond Stream running thru the land they may let you have some.
HTH

i have alot of streams/rivers around where i am and i know a few farmers which own alot of land...

but how do i know what wood is good? obviously something hard that isnt going to crumble, but apart from that im clueless!

surrey to wrexham for some wood! quite a trek!

would love to find some in my local streams/ rivers but i doubt they are going to be that chunky.
i will walk over in a little bit and see what i can find.

is there a test to check the wood is suitable? (like saw a small end off?)
i will scrub it down if i do find any and leave it to soak for a while (how long?)

I have just listed big mopani pieces for sale. They could be combined to look as one huge stump. Check for sale section, maybe you will like it.

Nick16 said:
surrey to wrexham for some wood! quite a trek!

would love to find some in my local streams/ rivers but i doubt they are going to be that chunky.
i will walk over in a little bit and see what i can find.

is there a test to check the wood is suitable? (like saw a small end off?)
i will scrub it down if i do find any and leave it to soak for a while (how long?)

I think that if you are after some large pieces they are the best option. They had two really big pieces of wood outside, in the front door, they must have been at least 30kg each. :)

Back