• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water droplets

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I've been meaning to have a go at this technique for ages.

I help run my local photography club at RAF Marham and thought I'd demonstrate this technique to the other members, even though I've never done it before. No pressure then!

Water is dripped from a suspended poly bag above a blue plastic bowl, and captured with my macro lens and off-camera flash. The technique is surprisingly simple, and once you get into a rhythm with the drops, it's not too hard to get the timing right.

5102679785_04d0981c6a_b.jpg

5103272828_2e33a802f0_b.jpg

Didn't you take photos like this for a certain mobile phone network???? :)
Excellent second shot! Now you have to try get cool reflections in the droplets.

Thanks. I didn't realize you could flash sync at 1/8000. Cool.

Yeah, the focusing was going to be my next question. Seems to be spot on. Well done mate! :clap:

Cheers,

Thanks mate.

Yes, usually flash sync is 1/250 max, but there's a high-speed mode on my flash gun.

To pre-focus I had a colleague place a pen lid at the point where the drops hit the water, so it was easier to focus on that.

Here's another shot.

5102679563_23c9e18dff_b.jpg

Good idea, makes sense. :angelic:
Did a good job on aperture/distance selection as well. Small enough to ensure sharpness on subject while isolating it from the background.

My only niggle with this last one is that the drops aren't centred within the "crown" and the aft splash drops are outside the DoF. You'd probably have to repeat the shot 50,000 times to get it perfect though...

Cheers,

Quality mate!

I reckon, for many new to photography, or for anyone wanting learn and understand their camera, This simple but effective style of photography is the way to do it.

It can be set up at home easily, and will bring the user up to speed relatively quickly with F stops and shutter speeds.

Hi George,i love the second shot,its nice and colourful and very sharp,here,s a pic of one i did earlier this year,
20100116-IMG_4460.jpg

like you said once you have it all set up its just a case of timing,
regards,
john.

NeilW said:
Seeing your great photos this may be up your street George;

http://vimeo.com/14955603
Fantastic video - thanks, Neil!

LondonDragon said:
Nice shots George, tried this a few years back, not that hard once you get the hang of it ;) an external flash is a must though!
Thanks mate. Yes, quite simple really if you have the right gear.

at one point in the vid, it shows a dslr fitted with the 65mm MP-E.

awseome vid. I may try this to get 'in touch' with my gear.

George Farmer said:
I wonder if that was when the guy was referring to the 1mm DoF?

possibly, but the high speed camera reference, shows it was shot on a high end, HD canon video camera. Not sure what the DSLR was their for. It definitely shows it though.

DOF on the 65mm is unbearable at times.

Back