• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After some general plant caretaking advice

ianheath

Seedling
My set up is as follows:

Tank - Clearseal 80x30x40
light - 20 watt 24" T-8
filter - Eheim 2012 pickup filter
subtrate - Aquagrit

When I started the planted tank I did put some subtrate fert tablets in but now I just dose weekly with Easy-life ProFito and daily with Flourish excel, light is on between 8 - 12 hours a day. This has been going on for about 3 or 4 weeks now and I have noticed some deterioration in plants, I've had to replace the valiis(?) with some more twisted vallis(?) and noticed melting (think thats what it is called) of some other plants, so I am going to up the Profito dosing to an extra half shot mid week.

Is there anything else I can do to help the plants, note I do not wish to go down the bottled CO2 method. I'm not after super looking plants, I just want this lot to last and grow a little. Some are doing ok and some are not.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

NOTE: while I've been waiting for the images to upload I noticed in one thread that too much light and too little CO2 causes melting I will try lowering the amount of light the plants get aswell

dscf0666o.th.jpg
dscf0665r.th.jpg
dscf0664.th.jpg
dscf0663v.th.jpg
dscf0662pj.th.jpg
dscf0661x.th.jpg

I would put your lights on a timer as changing the length of the photo period too often will stress the plants
Stick to between 6 and 8 hours should be fine
Also I think that profito is only trace elements you might be seeing deficiencies due to the lack of NPK either go for some tpn+ or get some dry powders to adress this problem and you should see your plants perk up
If you don't and the plants keep deteriorating you might end up with some algae problems
Matt

Also, Vallis reacts badly to Flourish Excel and other types of liquid carbon, so that would explain that one melting. Your lighting is 20w over 96 l (21g) , so that gives you approximately 1wph which isn't a bad figure - any more would be asking for trouble. As mentioned above, profito contains only trace elements, so you could be seeing a macro nutrient deficiency-have a look at the Estimative Index article in the tutorial section for a good idea of what nutrients a plant needs. Nice tank though-I like the overall effect!

Thanks for the replies,

I've now put my tank on a time for 8 hrs per day, and I'm about to order some TPN+. Hopefully this will help save the plants in the middle that are slowly disintergrating :(

Oh and thanks amy, hopefully once i get my fish stock up it will look even better :D

Back