• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Super Shallow Iwagumi

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I recently set up this and photographed it for PFK Editor, Jeremy Gay. A full six page article is in the latest (Dec '10) issue.

5122162817_4143c7974f_b.jpg

5122766174_f8cb36d379_b.jpg

• Tank - 80 x 30H x 60 cm optiwhite, braceless, rimless, Aquariums Ltd. Cabinet by Aquarium Cabinet Solutions.
    Lighting - 2 x TMC 1000ND 6500K
    Filter - New TMC external (around 1000lph) with TMC glassware
    Substrate - TMC NutraSoil - Black
    Hardscape - Unipac Okiishi replica rocks
    CO2 - TMC pressurised system
    Plants - 25 pots Tropica Glossostigma elatinoides
    Fish - White cloud mountain minnows

The tank itself was featured in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12395

Looks great, I like the idea much! Just IMHO the texture of the stones flatten the view on the frontal shot or maybe the lack of visible plants to underline the gap between the rocks. But this matters only if the accent is on the debt. Otherwise is the next great scape of yours :thumbup:

Could you please share your experience with the TMC light fixture and the substrate?

Kind regards

Thanks, guys.

Not my greatest aquascape of all time but perhaps quite interesting with the dimensions of the tank and use of replica rock.

The 'scape is 'flat' when viewed square-on from the front, due to the layout design. The extra depth the tank offers (60cm front to rear, only 30cm tall) can only really be appreciated by realtime viewing.

The TMC substrate seems very similar to the other soil-based substrates on the market. Maybe it is the same...? Works well.

The lighting is very nice. Great spectrum and high PAR, so able to grow anything. The intensity is also adjustable via a controller. With a 5 year guarantee, 50,000hr lifespan and relatively high effeciency it's an investment worth considering. I like the design too.

All credit to Jeremy for maintaining this tank, at one point whilst he became a Dad for the first time! All I did was the initial aquascaping, step-by-step photos, and grown-in photos. My favourite bits of the hobby actually!

Cheers. :)

Really nicne scape George. I like the frontal shot a lot. The stones are superb. For some reason the image is washed out a bit - possible the led do the trick with your cam sensors.

anyway great work. refreshing to see the unusual dimensions on the tank.

It reminds me of Aires rock. What's the glass wear like? Is it much like the powermen stuff? Seems to be from the little you can see in the pic.

First time I've heard of replica rock before. They're made of fibreglass?

This sorta scapes are not meant to be photographed from dead on I think. It's meant to be placed right smack in the middle of the room and have people walk around it.

It is a fantastic scape. I always find Iwagumi's boring, but this one looks really good, and because it is shallow I can just imagine a river.

If some of the rocks were coming of the water, it would look even better, maybe with some ferns on top.

Good work George.

Thanks, all! :D

Arana said:
Wow it looks great :clap: i think those proportions work really well and it's something a bit different, nice work again George :thumbup:
Thanks, Mark. :)

Themuleous said:
Is flow an issue in a tank with those dimensions and glassware?
Circulation is excellent in this tank due to the layout design. The rocks in the centre and shallow water mean that the water circles around really quickly - like a speedway.

viktorlantos said:
Really nicne scape George. I like the frontal shot a lot. The stones are superb. For some reason the image is washed out a bit - possible the led do the trick with your cam sensors.

anyway great work. refreshing to see the unusual dimensions on the tank.
Thanks, Viktor! :)

I confess the water is a little cloudy. No my fault though, and I had no other opportunity to photograph it.

Luna said:
I really love this picture, and your works too!
Thanks, Luna! :)

roge21 said:
looks stunning
Thanks, roge21! :)

flygja said:
First time I've heard of replica rock before. They're made of fibreglass?

This sorta scapes are not meant to be photographed from dead on I think. It's meant to be placed right smack in the middle of the room and have people walk around it.
Yes, they're resin-based and hand painted.

You're right to an extent about the perspective when viewing. However, this 'scape is not designed to be viewed from behind or left; only front, right and above. The design, including the substrate sloping, was taking into account the tank's position in the room.

LondonDragon said:
That looks awesome George, look forward to reading the article in the magazine :) congrats
Any chance of a video?
Thanks mate! :)

No chance of a video I'm afraid. It's been re-scaped already!

Garuf said:
It reminds me of Aires rock. What's the glass wear like? Is it much like the powermen stuff? Seems to be from the little you can see in the pic.
The glassware is ok. Decent finish but not up to Cal Aqua or ADA standard. I suspect the price will be reflected accordingly.

ghostsword said:
It is a fantastic scape. I always find Iwagumi's boring, but this one looks really good, and because it is shallow I can just imagine a river.

If some of the rocks were coming of the water, it would look even better, maybe with some ferns on top.

Good work George.
Thanks, Luis. :)

I always flick through PFK before i buy it to see if it has anything worth reading :oops: ,i saw the feature on this and enjoyed reading it,lovely scape and an interesting size tank,great photos too George,
regards,
john.

john starkey said:
I always flick through PFK before i buy it to see if it has anything worth reading :oops: ,i saw the feature on this and enjoyed reading it,lovely scape and an interesting size tank,great photos too George,
regards,
john.
Thanks, John. You should find a couple of articles in the next issue worth reading too...

Back