• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first ever kingfisher shots

John Starkey

Hi all,i have been after these all summer,i finally found i place where i can get quite close,i got quite a few good ones but these i liked because of the fish in the mouth,
IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

i hope you enjoyed them,
regards,
john.

that last shot, he is thinking 'mmmmm' after eating that fish. looks quite smug!

excellent snaps.

George Farmer said:
Wonderful, John! What an incredible subject. :thumbup:

My only improvement would be to perhaps adjust the blue of the sky in Photoshop. It's almost too rich and monotonous - but that may be my monitor.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi George,the blue is the water in the pool,when it was cloudy the water was clear and dark,but when the sun was on it,it was very blue,i do take your point though it does look a bit harsh,but i am trying to avoid too much editing and try to do it in camera,

thanks all,
regards,
john.

Thanks everyone,they are very hard birds to photograph even when they are perched they still bob up and down,which makes your hit rate very low,
regards,
john.

john starkey said:
George Farmer said:

My only improvement would be to perhaps adjust the blue of the sky in Photoshop. It's almost too rich and monotonous - but that may be my monitor.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi George,the blue is the water in the pool,when it was cloudy the water was clear and dark,but when the sun was on it,it was very blue,i do take your point though it does look a bit harsh,but i am trying to avoid too much editing and try to do it in camera,

thanks all,
regards,
john.
Ah, fair points mate. Great shooting, nevertheless. Better than I could ever do, no doubt. :thumbup:

What lens were you using? How did you hide? Can you explain more about your technique, please?

Bird photography is something I know very little about and it would be great to hear more about it. :D

George Farmer said:
john starkey said:
George Farmer said:

Thanks for sharing.

thanks all,
regards,
john.
Ah, fair points mate. Great shooting, nevertheless. Better than I could ever do, no doubt. :thumbup:

What lens were you using? How did you hide? Can you explain more about your technique, please?

Bird photography is something I know very little about and it would be great to hear more about it. :D

Hi George,my setup in camera was f/4 which is wide open for the 500mm f/4 L,i do go to f/8 sometimes but found f/4 best,AV mode was used as it,s best for birds because manual mode can make you miss shots of fast moving birds,AL servo,continuous shoot,centre weighted average,AWB (but i do use cloudy at times as it adds warmth to a shot),centre focus point (as this is the most sharpest area of your focusing points,the light was very bright at times so i was under exposing by 1 2/3 of a stop at times,
i was shooting from a hide and using a bean bag for support,
regards,
john.

Thanks mate. What kind of shutter speeds and ISO are we talking on these beauties?

I played with a mate's 7D the other day. What a beautiful piece of engineering! Love the AF in particular. Makes my 50D look quite amatuerish! I reckon I'd prefer this over the 5D2 for my needs.

How are you finding yours? I remember you with your first DSLR at a UKAPS meet at Sam's a few years ago. Funny how things progress so quickly... ;)

George Farmer said:
Thanks mate. What kind of shutter speeds and ISO are we talking on these beauties?

I played with a mate's 7D the other day. What a beautiful piece of engineering! Love the AF in particular. Makes my 50D look quite amatuerish! I reckon I'd prefer this over the 5D2 for my needs.

How are you finding yours? I remember you with your first DSLR at a UKAPS meet at Sam's a few years ago. Funny how things progress so quickly... ;)

Sorry Mate forgot the shutter speed,i start at ISO 400,but its not unusual to go up to ISO 800 for a faster shutter speed,depending on the light of course,shutter speeds go up to 1/1000 of a second and higher at times,i really like my 7D but i do experience some noise at times,on my wish list at the moment is the cannon 1D MK4,lovely bit of kit but i have a wife too :rolleyes: , I also remember my first DSLR when i was at TGM,i was lost,didn,t have a clue,but do you remember me saying to you right i will sell this olympus e410 and get a cannon and i will not give up until i can use it :lol:

regards,
john

flygja said:
Is that a cricket cartoonishly trying to keep the bird's beak from clamping shut?
The object in it's mouth is a stickle back,watching these kinfishers fish is a awesome site,
Regards John

Hi John
As a non camera man these shots are absolutely stunning quality.
I would love to get a camera of that quality but that will have to wait.
It just shows that not giving up and perseverance can achieve.
Regards
hoggie

Back