• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NeilW's desktop ADA Mini 'S'

NeilW

Hello everyone :wave:

Thought I would create a new journal for my newly purchased ADA Mini 'S' although it is still in the planning stages its always nice to have some advice and input. :thumbup:

My reasoning behind starting a new 'scape (as if you ever need one) was wanting to provide a more suitable fish-free setup for my Crystal Red Shrimp. Nervous shrimp = lack of shrimpy 'fun times'. Getting another tank also means I could easily separate higher and lower grades as another plus.

The Blank Canvas
Gotta say this tank is perfection. Theres almost no silicon at all! The quality is truly amazing, nice bevelled edges at the top, glass completely flush on the corners and of course opti-white. I would like to say a big thank you to TGM for their excellent customer service and time they put into carefully packing it so it arrived in one piece. I think I'll cry if I scratch it :lol:
tank001.jpg

tank002.jpg

detail of the silicon (or lack of it!)
tank003.jpg

On to my scape ideas...

This will be another Iwagumi but more inspired from the Shinto 'Karesansui' dry rock garden (so basically more sand in the composition and exclusive use of shorter carpeting plants in comparison to my other Iwagumi). However I am going to use hairgrass as an accent plant to get a less manicured look so it will hopefully be less 'zen-monk-raking-gravel-into-lines' cheesy and more 'Nature Aquarium'.

heres a list of some of my inspiration;
http://learn.bowdoin.edu/japanesegardens/elements/islands/Island.Crane/Island.Crane.etc.jpg
http://landscaping.savvy-cafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/rock-garden.jpg
http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/11/259611/1/115464777.9co6pHa1.RicciaDwarf.jpg
http://www.adana-th.com/limagegal/page/adatank18.htm
http://www.naacademy.pl/_uploads/thumb/13-Pawel Krasowiak green pool_jpg_820_100_forcewidth.jpg

I was thinking that maybe I could make up the 'islands' from small wabi kusa balls? Or I can work out some barrier system or just go with growing everything in sand?

Spec:
Tank
13 litre ADA Mini 'S' (31 x 18 x 24cm)

Filtration
Eheim Liberty 2040 HOB (380 lph)

Lighting
11watt fluorescent compact

Fertilisation
std dosage EasyCarbo and TPN+ daily

So far the filter is on order but still need to collect the plants, hardscape and substrate. I went for the Eheim Liberty HOB as the tank will be sat on my desk and they're meant to be good build quality units. Means I won't have to buy glassware too! It was a steal at £14.90 brand new. As my current house is fairly warm all year I won't need to use a heater. As a carbon source I'm hoping that EasyCarbo at standard dosage will be sufficient to grow HC in addition to an 11watt lamp. This time I'm not going for massive rocks that will block the flow though! Thinking of going for another dry-start to give the plants a good chance from the beginning.

Do you think its worth using a base mat for such a small tank on a thick oak desk?

possible plantlist
'mini' spiky moss
HC
dwarf hairgrass
coral pellia

The plants are all chosen to be very small and make up a mix of textures when used on the 'islands' surrounding the stones. I found before that hairgrass is versatile for transitions between different species as well as being a nice plant by itself. Maybe some Elatine hydropiper could work? Im not sure of its requirements though. Any other suggestions are welcome. Is anywhere still selling the 1-2-GROW plants still?

Heres a book published around 1900 I bought the other day from an Antique Bookstore in Winchester. I thought you guys may find it interesting;
img2550x.jpg

img2552x.jpg

img2559v.jpg

Anyone else still go for the galvanised bucket water change? :lol: (note the shallow tray style tank that we all thought was a new idea!)
img2556c.jpg

Sorry for the long post, I thought I had to make it up with pictures somehow! Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome :)

Cheers for looking,
Neil

All sounds very good, the links and book are brilliant too.
1-2 grow are being sold by living waters, they're not a mail order but will post. Don't forget that planted box also sell the aquafluer equivalents of them.

Can't wait to see what you do with it all.

Garuf said:
All sounds very good, the links and book are brilliant too.
1-2 grow are being sold by living waters, they're not a mail order but will post. Don't forget that planted box also sell the aquafluer equivalents of them.

Can't wait to see what you do with it all.

Thanks for the recommendations mate, I'll go check them out!

I had even more links but didn't want to go OTT :lol:

...but heres some more!
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/gallery/2561
http://www.adana-th.com/limagegal/page/adatank6.htm
http://www.williamcorey.com/japanese-garden-photography-portfolio/alc14-Ryogenin.html
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1036105091035142324UCFTQP

I may put up some more pics of the book in a new thread if people were interested?

Hi Neil,i can remember my dad helping me do water changes with a galvanised bucket 45 years ago :p ,the tank looks superb did you go for the ADA light ?,
regards,
john.

john starkey said:
Hi Neil,i can remember my dad helping me do water changes with a galvanised bucket 45 years ago :p ,the tank looks superb did you go for the ADA light ?,
regards,
john.
Maybe we should go back to the good old days and get galvanised buckets? B&Q don't know where they're at with their plastic rubbish :lol:

I think the Mini 'S' has been one of my best tank related purchases, I can't fault it at all. For what I get up to with easy-to-grow plants and liquid carbon I think the very tasty looking ADA Solar Mini would be a bit of a nuclear algae accident waiting to happen. Maybe one day when I finally get round to pressurised and not being a pansy I'll have one on my shopping list! For now I've got one of the Plantedbox Aquadistri 11watt units which have a nice colour spectrum and are fairly inconspicuous in design.

Arana said:
Love the book, good buy :thumbup:

looking forward to seeing this journal develop :D

Its been a very interesting read so far as it was written in an age before mains electricity, so no filters or anything! It was also written in an age before equality, the very first line reads - "Few things are more interesting and less troublesome then a well cared-for aquarium. It makes no litter to annoy the tidy housewife.." :eek:

LondonDragon said:
ADA = quality!! that silicone job is just amazing!! Nice find with the book ;) you should check out my water changing pump guide in the DIY section haha

I reckon you saw the book before me and thats where your inspiration was from :lol:

Now wouldn't it be nice to have one of their full size aquariums in that quality!

Got an Eheim Liberty in the post the other day but disappointingly it had a slight rattle to it which I was surprised about for an Eheim. Emailed the vendor who kindly are sending a complete new replacement straight away and even told me I could keep the old one!

Just worked out how the tank would sit on my desk and how the gear would hang off it. Managed to cunningly have it all on one side of the tank so the background is unobstructed;

img2760r.jpg

The grey of the lamp and filter isn't too ugly either which is nice.

Hi Neil,

Soooo jealous, looks like an awesome tank and i cannot wait to see it develop :) Where about`s are you? If your near Wiltshire i`m just gonna have to come and take a look ;)

That quote from the book about the tidy housewife, so funny, where did they go? Mine is more untidy with her tank than i am!

Cheers,

ukco2guy said:
Hi Neil,

Soooo jealous, looks like an awesome tank and i cannot wait to see it develop :) Where about`s are you? If your near Wiltshire i`m just gonna have to come and take a look ;)

That quote from the book about the tidy housewife, so funny, where did they go? Mine is more untidy with her tank than i am!

Cheers,

Cheers :thumbup: Still a lot to do in the pipeline - planning, ordering, scaping, and a dry start.

I'm only in Hampshire but sadly at the moment theres not much to see apart from an empty tank and a slightly tatty looking mildly staghorned nano thats in need of much attention :thumbdown:

Neil,

Flood it quick :) Joke... Our cats here just can`t help themselves when i leave a box about, i hope yours did not scratch that lovely tank!

Cheers,

chump54 said:
very cute... like your usb holder too... very nifty :)
Funny you noticed that, making that out of cardboard was my stroke of genius for today as I was fed up of dropping the leads down the back. Maybe I should go on Dragons Den? :lol:

Luketendo said:
Like the uhhh... scape :p. Very cute, reminds me of my old cat aha.
The cats not positioned to the golden ratio so I won't go entering any competitions :geek:

ukco2guy said:
Flood it quick :) Joke... Our cats here just can`t help themselves when i leave a box about, i hope yours did not scratch that lovely tank!
Maybe I could do a Damien Hirst but with a cat?! No scratches, only cat lick :?

Back