• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

decided to have another go with the big tank

alan_uk

after straying and going for malawi and then an amazon theme tank i couldnt help but look at the planted tanks and havin always wanted a nice set-up decided to have another go but try harder this time.

i have spent the last 4 month reading asking and buying lol

the tank is my 72"x18"x18" 12mm glass 24mm base 340l

custom cabinet/hood

filter is eheim 2236 external
fluval 4+ internal
korilia 3 power head

300 watt heater

2x 46" t5ho 54watt 6500k daylight white bulbs

co2 - diy at minute will be 7kg welding bottle with inline atomizer

substrate is

osmocote covered with a thin layer of sphagnum moss peat

then 2" of akadama front 3" rear sloped

hardscape is mopani wood and granite

plants are

amazon sword
crypt wendtii "brown"
crypt wendtii "green"
crypt balansea
anubias nana
anubias cofofolia
java fern
needle java fern
ludwigia repens
wisteria
rotalla roundfolia
pygmy chain sword
java moss
weeping moss

fish will be

4 german blue rams
20 cardinal tetra
8 panda cory's
8 amano shrimp

here is the pics so far

now today after removing all the fish and having a good clean sand is still in as the peat and the osmocote dont turn up until tomorrow then will be fully set up

DSC03882.jpg

DSC03887.jpg

DSC03886.jpg

DSC03885.jpg

my planned hardscape at present

DSC03895.jpg

DSC03894.jpg

DSC03897.jpg

comments and critics welcome :)

cheers

well update time again :),

my peat turned up this morning so it was all systems go so to speak
started by emptying the tank and giving a good clean make sure all sand was out letf the snails in lol

DSC03904.jpg

DSC03905.jpg

then added the osmocote

DSC03908.jpg

followed by a layer of the sphagnum moss peat

DSC03910.jpg

DSC03909.jpg

the it was time for the akadama
sadly 30kg wasnt enough so ive ordered another 15kg so i still set up and will just drain water and remove plants when its arrived and clean and ready to add and add to the top of whats in there now

DSC03911.jpg

DSC03912.jpg

then planted and set up just so is still a little cloudy

DSC03913.jpg

then had a cup of tea and went in the bath and this is it 10 mins ago :)

DSC03914.jpg

DSC03915.jpg

DSC03916.jpg

DSC03917.jpg

DSC03918.jpg

still only have the light on the right side as the left aint arrived yet should be here tomorrow

more updates then and when other soil is in and planted right i plan on adding vallis, more anubias, peacock moss, pogostomon helferi and possibly hair grass not sure yet on that 1 :)

comments welcome :)

thanks guys,

yea was a pain lol i just cant wait for it to fill out now :)

I have a 5ft tank awaiting me to scape once I move into my flat. I am seeking inspiration from he big tanks :)
Will be following this with interest :)

thank you :)

i do think when they fill out they look amazing i wish i could have a tank like sanj i absoloulty love that :thumbup:

That looks really nice! One thing I'd say is that the rocks don't really match, I'd remove them as they're adding very little to the aquascapes except distraction.

Great plant choice and great positioning of the wood :thumbup:

cheers mate :) this is my real first scape as ive never set-up a planted tank before so im pleased with the feedback im getting my other was just java fern with sand lol

i agree about the rocks though there too bright i may look for some a little darker so they dont stand out too much :)

well lights have just came on and the tank is now crystal clear looks awesome now im very happy :)

DSC03919.jpg

DSC03920.jpg

DSC03921.jpg

DSC03922.jpg

comments welcome :)

i love it so far mate, cant wait to see the front fill out more. I like the way youve positioned the wood and everything blends in well.

Definitely with dan on the rocks though, they do take your eye away, depending on where you are i have a fair few rocks left from what ive pulled out from mine before i strip it down that your more then welcome to, they are almost the colour of your subsrate.

what made you opt for that size tank? 72" inches is very long! i make a 72x18x18 about 380L? you have gained 40L :lol:

you didnt fancy a 5 footer with a bit more width and height?

looking lush though, i love the akadama look. cant wait for it to fill in, and it has cleared nicely indeed.

cheers,

i would of went for either a 4x2x2 or 5x2x2 but the tank was originally for malawi's so went for the length :(

its ok though as i like how its turned out this time :)

do you have any pics of the rocks mate please sound like they would look good im quite far away but if there right then i dont mind ill find a way :)

Hi Alan,its looking very nice,it certainly has the potential to grow in to a very nice tank,if you this to succeed then my advice is to keep up a good cleaning plan,
regards,
john.

decided to add some vallis to the right corner tonight what you all think

DSC03933.jpg

Back