• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what fish for my tank ?? help

alan_uk

hi everyone,

im almost at the stage now were i want to start adding fish

my first thoughts were towards 25 cardinal tetra, 4 german blue rams, and 8 panda cory, 10 amano shrimp

but im now undecided ive got a £65 store credit for my previous fish and im told they can order something if i decide on a certian fish and im now thinking rather than the rams adding either a sunset platy group or threadfin rainbows but im also open to suggestions ?

any ideas help or info would be greatly appreciated

my tank is 72"x18"x18" and i would prefer not too much stock and preferably small fish that will do well with shrimp :)

thank you :thumbup:

I'd imagine the rams will eat the shrimps, cardinals looks amazing in almost any context. What about rainbows? Threadfins or frucatas blue eyes would look similarly stunning.

Rams will eat young/small shrimp but large Amanos should be fine and, as they won't breed, the rams won't polish off any babies. However rams vary hugely in quality and you can end up with some rubbish ones that will simply waste away. For a 6' tank I'd get more than 4 (at least 6 and probably 8) and I'd have a huge shoal of cardinals (40+) to get the effect. I'd get more panda cories too. Going for just three types of fish could look amazing but you need to have a good sized shoal of each type to make it look impressive IMHO.

cool thanks for the info

i am actually going to have other breed of shrimp inc small malayan green shrimp so would become lunch for the rams

i was going to go for 40 cardinals or 40 neons as there cheaper lol but either way i will go for 40

cory's im swaying with the idea due to the digging nature and i dont want the plants uprooted or the peat digging up from under the substrate and im not keen on rainbows

im after something colourful that will stand out from the green and something small as i dont like big fish and im not keen on overstocking :)

so any more input from anyone please throw your ideas at me they must live with small tetra and shrimp though :)

Tetras will hunt down the baby malayans for sure. Rather like mixing Velocoraptors and small goats!

Any fish a with a mouth that's big enough will eat baby shrimp unless they are strict vegetarians like Otos. The best you can do is get tiny fish with correspondingly tiny mouths so the shrimp stand a better chance. That rules out any cichlid really and most tetras; you might want to consider micro-rasboras and could have a huge shoal of them.

The other option is to plant very heavily and go with cherry shrimps and let them breed and establish a good sized breeding colony before you add any larger fish and add only a pair to reduce predation. Maybe a pair of smaller mouthed Apistogramma or Dicrossus could be a better choice than rams then.

I have Panda and Peppered Cory in my 240l and they have never dug a plant up and don't cause trouble with the substrate either. The only time they'd be a problem is if you had a sand 'beach' as they can mix it up a bit. I have Pygmy cory in my 120l and they are fab little things though they'd get lost in your giant tank :lol: . I must admit that I love my Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, but you said you weren't keen on Rainbows so I won't push them! Personally I wouldn't worry too much about shrimplets in your tank, it's got plenty of hiding places and if my shrimplets can avoid being eaten by my African Dwarf Frog then I think enough can survive the odd fish trying it on to create a nice population.

Back