• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I Grow Moss With Siamese Algae Eaters?

Ben M

hi, in my 216l 4ft community i have 5 Siamese algae eaters. and in the past i have tried to grow moss, only to find that the SAE's like to eat it. is there any moss that i can grow with SAE's, or is there anything i could do to stop my SAE'S eating moss such as feeding them loads? although over feeding could cause water quality problems. :woot:

i've read that SAE'S don't eat java moss, is this true? or are there any other types of moss that SAE's don't eat?

cheers :D

my SAE ate my java moss and my Christmas moss. i like to know of a moss they wont eat. really want to try fontanus fissidens.

They did not eat my Spiky moss and Taiwan moss :) I think one of the tricks it to grow the moss in a tank without SAEs first. Let it grow all nice and lush. I had lush Christmas moss which the SAEs didn't demolish. But they eventually melted due to high temps. When I tried to plant new Christmas moss, they were reduced to "branches" within a few days.

Don't bother with Java, they'll definitely get eaten.

flygja said:
I think one of the tricks it to grow the moss in a tank without SAEs first. Let it grow all nice and lush.

This is what I have done in the past.
Your best bet is to have so much moss that they just eat the tips and leave you with it looking a little bit straggly.

thanks, i think i'll have to rehome the SAE's, as they're getting quite annoying now. when i bought them i hadn't found any info saying they eat moss. just like MTS don't eat plants... Try telling my Hygrophila that. :lol:

i don't have anywhere that i can grow moss before putting it into that tank, so that won't be possible.

cheers :D

pest control said:
i don't have anywhere that i can grow moss before putting it into that tank, so that won't be possible.

Have you got a windowsill?
If so that will work. I agree though, the best option for healthy moss is to rehouse the siamese flying pigs :)

a1Matt said:
siamese flying pigs :)

How very dare you!!!!!! ;) ;) :)

I love my SAE's. I now have two, a baby 2" 'vixen' and a fully grown 8" inch fella originally named by my loving wife as 'foxy'.

I've never yet managed to grow any kind of moss with Foxy in the tank and have completely removed him/her from my planted tank many moons ago (he/her just got to big and clumsy hence the newbie) but I have to admit that the fish is stunning in a very underestimated kind of way and very worthy of a place in my collection of fishes. He does like to eat a lot, of anything really, but a 'pig'.......Ummmm........Well maybe. :) :)

Regards, Chris.

chris1004 said:
but I have to admit that the fish is stunning in a very underestimated kind of way and very worthy of a place in my collection of fishes.

I've kept them in the past and I love them too! Stunning in an understated way is a good description.

8" is quite impressive. I'd love to see a pic too :)

Hi,

That`s one huge SAE, we have got to see some pics... Please :)

I have some willow moss that mine have not really touched but then they have alot of other plants to clean etc, maybe that`s why i have been lucky with them. I think they have alot of character and look great when the fins glow. I also owe alot to them for eating practically all my hair algae in just over a 2 week period!

Cheers,

Hi,

OK I'll try at the weekend but I've never posted a pic up on this forum before (or any other forum) and I only have my camara phone to take them with. That coupled with the fact that I'm technically inept when it comes to PC's could take me a while but I'll see what I can do.

Regards, Chris.

Back