• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bladder snail infestation

Mirf

Can anyone advise on a good way of getting rid of these little monsters? My 25 gallon planted shrimp tank is currently infested with these things, I must be removing/squishing a hundred a day and so far haven't even made a dent in the population. When the lights go on in the morning the front of the tank is completely covered in them :twisted:

I have 5 assassin snails (plus almost 100 of their eggs ) in the tank but there are simply too many for them to deal with.

I am guessing that any chemical treatment is out due to the fact that it would have a negative effect on my shrimp.

Any suggestions/idea's would be much appreciated.

You can create a snail trap.

Leave an algae wafer or something and then overnight they will all head into the trap.
Then simply remove in the morning.

Good luck. I started with 5 assassins and ended up with around 50 assassins over 6-8 months. But it did rid of my MTS.

Any idea how I would make a snail trap that is baby shrimp proof?

I can't wait for the assassin eggs to start hatching to be honest.

Well a simple way is to put a piece of cucumber or lettuce weighed down by something overnight.
In the morning just remove the piece. Keep on doing it a few nights of the week and should lower the snails.

However another thing is to look at your feeding patterns towards your fish. Excess snails = excess food.

That's the biggest problem to be honest. I use sinking wafers and pellet food for the shrimp, so the snails tend to get to it as quickly as the shrimp do :?

There are also plenty of plants for them to snack on as well.

Try the lettuce thing. or a suken courgette.

Its easy to take out and shrimps will move out of the way.

Not sure on the accuracy of this, but I've got memories that squishing snails is bad as any eggs they have would be released = more snails. Removing them is the only way...

I've got them in mine now, little blighters. I can only assume they came in on some plants from here as I had none from the AE ones.

nry said:
Not sure on the accuracy of this, but I've got memories that squishing snails is bad as any eggs they have would be released = more snails. Removing them is the only way...

That may be true, but it's deeply satisfying squishing the wee blighters :twisted: :lol:

I spend about 20 minutes fishing out as many as I can and the remaining available ones get the spatula. The shrimp make very short work of the ensuing mush....

Back