• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding more lighting to a Rekord 120

skinz180189

Wanting to up the lighting in my Rekord 120. There's currently just the one big long tube in there as standard, which is a 30w Juwel "Daylight" Tube. This gives me 1wpg. Now, I'd like to increase it to at least 2 wpg to give my plants better chance of surviving, as I feel light (or lack of) is what has let me down in the past.

I think my best option would be another tube, or 2, mounted to the sloping "front" edge of the lid. That's about as far as my lighting knowledge takes me really.

So (many :oops:), questions...

T8 or T5?
1 long tube or 2/3 short tubes?
Controllers/Ballasts?
Wattage to go for?
Is 2wpg sufficient? (Plants are Java Moss, Moss balls, Water Wisteria, Echinodorus bleheri & cryptocoryne beckettii)
Is the placement on the front a good or bad idea?

So yeah, advice is appreciated, the more I read the more confusing it all is! :crazy:

skinz180189 said:
This gives me 1wpg. Now, I'd like to increase it to at least 2 wpg to give my plants better chance of surviving, as I feel light (or lack of) is what has let me down in the past...
Then again, maybe not. Maybe it was lack of CO2, or lack of flow/distribution or even lack of nutrients..

Adding more light means needing to add more of all these. It depends on what your goals are. Is this going to be a non-CO2 low tech tank? Are you looking for fast growth or slower growth and better stability?

Cheers,

i added an extra tube too my 120. on the sloping part of the lid at the front. however it does block the feeding holes as mine was a t8 so quite chunky.

i didnt really neeed it though, just drilled two small holes and mounted a couple of light tube clips. bught the tube and balast and away you go. oh and a reflector to stop all the light going upwards!

Back