• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

breaking up dragon stone, how?

It aint half dusty! Non stop rinsing with water and there still muck!

Fun breaking up the stone though!

I've done a lot of surfing trying to work out the real name of dragon stone (with no luck).

Along the way I came across a couple of references to there being two sources of the stone, Japan and Turkey.
Apparently the stuff from Turkey has more of a reddish\orange hue.

Not sure how reliable that info is, but if it does hold true then I expect the Turkish stuff is what ADC stock and that it is easier to break.

I could well be talking rubbish!

a1Matt said:
I've done a lot of surfing trying to work out the real name of dragon stone (with no luck).

Along the way I came across a couple of references to there being two sources of the stone, Japan and Turkey.
Apparently the stuff from Turkey has more of a reddish\orange hue.

Not sure how reliable that info is, but if it does hold true then I expect the Turkish stuff is what ADC stock and that it is easier to break.

I could well be talking rubbish!

Thats right, heard the same thing from Rik (mlgt) and can confirm from my experience. Ordered some from aquaessentials and it came in both varieties. The more reddish/orange did break easily and the greyish was hard. Ended up sending greyish back and keeping reddish which i used on my 'green and green'.

That is good to have it confirmed.

I'd love to find out what it is really called.
Like Luis says it is accepted to be a basalt stone, but which one?
If we knew that we could actively look for more (hopefully cheaper) suppliers.

I know this has been asked many times before, so do not expect an answer!

From where Paulo is, up north in Portugal, there are lots of basalts there, and some look very good. :)

Next time I go to Lisbon I will check it out, most hill got lots.. Massive boulders.
366381783.jpg

That picture looks familiar... I think it is the giants causeway (Antrim, Ireland)!

Yep there are plenty of rocks in the north of Portugal, I live near a river there aswell so it would be great to go rumbling!! When a rumbling trip to the north of Portugal?

This is interesting as this is what I want to do as have three very large pieces. Strange thing happened though, I put a piece in my existing tank, rinsed and soaked it and the barbs hated it, sat under cover and wouldnt come out. Took it out and back to normal

I broke mine off last night by just bashing it with another piece, breaks of well easily. But as has been previously stated loads of brown clay inside. Going to jet wash it and use in my next tank

Back