• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monster Cryptocoryne wendtii?

johnnypy

How big does Cryptocoryne wendtii get?

I have several plants which I bought as this species which seem far larger than I expected. They look just like in the pictures but the largest just touches the surface of my 60cm deep tank. The actual leaf is 20-25cm long and 4-5cm wide on a 30-35cm stalk. This has spoiled my midground ideas a bit - anyone else found that this species gets so large or is it likely to be a different species?

There are lots of wendtii variants (and hybrids too). All reach different sizes.

Crypt Wendtii 'mi oya' is nearly reaching 20" in my tank, whereas Crypt Wendtii 'green gecko' is fully grown at 1" (a much underrated carpeting crypt IMO ;) )

Pics attached of the monster Crypt. The biggest leaves are bending over at the surface which I reckon makes them 65-70cm long.

aquarium005.jpg

aquarium004.jpg

As well as being a giant I think it may also qualify as one of the oldest plants I've ever kept. Although I'm sure it's been through several generations, I bought the originals from a long closed shop in Bradford in about 1990 or 1991.

John

That is a monster :eek: Your tank looks absolutely crammed in that shot. What do you feed?

I have a pressurised CO2 system and I feed daily with a PMDD solution, traces mix plus a small amount of phosphate solution.

I seem to be able to grow most plants apart from any type of sword plants which my Ancistrus destroy and any Hygrophila/Ludwigia species which always grow explosively and then seem to run out of something before they melt away. Maybe something very specific in the nutrients? Not sure, but I recently had a huge clump of Ludwigia Rubin which grew superbly before it just faded away. Just before it went it produced masses of roots up the stems as if it was desperate for some nutrient.

I thought that too George!! Although the markings on the leaf are usually more prominent (tho with crypts anything is possible) tho there is a green undulata isn't there. Not sure how big that gets.......... Anyone?

Back