• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something very very weird

barbus

hi,

first of all I have a 300L plantad tank with co2 presurized system, ferts based on EI method, lighting 0,5 W , and 15 rasboras ( heteromorpha) , .... so what is realy interesthing I noticed recently that every time i knock the glass when I am about to feed them ..they go crazy ... yes , sudden movement to the left and to the right but in a very weid way not something common movements..... some of them as they reach the surface for food ...die, yes they die or fall on the plants and die the nezt day ... i already lost 5 fish like this, no idea why they are doing this , it is hard to explain but I've never seen this before.
I mention that shrimps are ok so C02 can not be the problem .. i guess...
the ferts levels N is 20 - 30 ppm and P 1 - 2 ppm , I stared to dose Mg too little by little and few K ,
I always do the same waterchange ( 50 % weekly ) for years and this is the first time i notice them doing this.
Any ideea what is going on?

thanks.

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Out of interest why do you knock the glass? Do you mean like knocking on a door?

To train them to associate feeding time with the knock...though having a lid on the tank means my fish know they're getting fed when I lift the lid.

Personally I'd stop knocking on the glass if the fish are dieing when you do, or perhaps knock more gently :)

If you want to ensure that all the fish are at the surface when feeding you can use a taser :lol:
Anyway I'd replace the food, could be contaminated.

I only ask as I've heard from many sources that knocking or tapping on the glass stresses fish, in turn stress can result in death. Just wondered why someone would do that intentionally that's all :)

We've seen Takashi Amano do it in his big tank when feeding his altums though.

knocking the glass isn't the right word like you wre knocking the door ...sounds stupid.
It's rather touching quickly the glass with your nails as the fish gathers so u can feed them at once :) , anyways that has absolutly nothing to do with fish stress nor food quality ...i do this for years and the fish are very ok , not any sign they would be pale ... something else has to be the problem .
Nh4 No2 are also minimal .... to be honest I expected more serious answers.

cheers.

Hi barbus ,
As your symptoms are unusual its difficult to diagnose , it could be a common infection / illness
but your fish react in a different way , take a look at fishdoc.co.uk , theres a section that gives
visual signs , also videos on infections etc .

It gives fairly in depth information , and is a great help for unusual signs , hope it helps .

Jay .

Back