• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Luke's TMC 8L Nano

Well after a quick look about it seems Eleocharis acicularis gets to aboute 6 or 8 inches so if I'm going to go for the long look then it probably won't require too much trimming as the tank is 9 inches tall.

Does the pond stuff acclimatise ok in aquariums? Because I can get Aquafleur pots at £1.50 each for most species as I work at MA. Or 5 for £6 for that matter. I think parvula is about half that max so maybe I'd be best going for the acicularis.

Luketendo said:
Wow, that's alright then. Also one last thing, is there any specific tweezers and scissors you would recommend George? Just there's so many different ones at different prices.
I use relatively inexpensive tools. Perhaps they're not as comfortable to use as the more expensive tools, but they do the job. Curved scissors and straight/thin tweezers would be ideal for your set up.

Luketendo said:
Well after a quick look about it seems Eleocharis acicularis gets to aboute 6 or 8 inches so if I'm going to go for the long look then it probably won't require too much trimming as the tank is 9 inches tall.

Does the pond stuff acclimatise ok in aquariums? Because I can get Aquafleur pots at £1.50 each for most species as I work at MA. Or 5 for £6 for that matter. I think parvula is about half that max so maybe I'd be best going for the acicularis.

It does great in cold or trop temps. I Bought some ages ago and it has maxed out at around 6inches in height. I left it in clumps, easier for me to change the location of it.

George Farmer said:
Luketendo said:
Wow, that's alright then. Also one last thing, is there any specific tweezers and scissors you would recommend George? Just there's so many different ones at different prices.
I use relatively inexpensive tools. Perhaps they're not as comfortable to use as the more expensive tools, but they do the job. Curved scissors and straight/thin tweezers would be ideal for your set up.

Any cheaps tools people can recommend? Sounsd good on the hairgrass.

For nano/Pico Tanks I use a Knitting Needle with a Notch cut into it for planting, or moving a plant around, Crochie needles also work as they have a hook. IME I also Find Pippettes Invaluable for Small Tanks for a Quick water change or direct feeding something. For Scpaing I use a Ladle and Desert Spoon or an Icing Spatula. Chopsticks are also great planting tools, as cheap and can cut different shaped notches into them for planting.

I have just planted some hairgrass, I bought a tweezer hobby set from the pound store, for a pound (unsurprisingly), which had a nice thin curved tweezer that did the job admirably. The hair grass went in with minimum fuss and I had no floating plants.

sculligan said:
I have just planted some hairgrass, I bought a tweezer hobby set from the pound store, for a pound (unsurprisingly), which had a nice thin curved tweezer that did the job admirably. The hair grass went in with minimum fuss and I had no floating plants.

Good to know, will have to keep an eye out for them next time I ma near one

Luketendo said:
Interesting, can anyone recommend any good stuff online?

I just bought this set, as can't be bothered to go to town and pay parking.
Item Number 320551832847

Gill said:
Luketendo said:
Interesting, can anyone recommend any good stuff online?

I just bought this set, as can't be bothered to go to town and pay parking.
Item Number 320551832847

Look pretty good, any ideas on the scissors though?

So today I added the AS Powder so the scape is finished. Still quite a bit of kit I need before I can start though, sort of along the lines of the following:

Diffuser
CO2 Bottle
CO2 tubing and suction cups etc
Tweezers, Scissors
Drop Checker
Ferts
Plants

Think that's all!

George Farmer said:
Have you considered using liquid carbon instead of CO2?

A 500ml bottle would last over 12 months and is the much better value option of carbon enrichment.

Yeah thing is I got the equipment very cheap from work so would like to make use of it. Also I want to keep CRS so want to be careful because I could overdose and kill them. Also I thought HC doesn't grow well without CO2 or anything?

Luketendo said:
Also I thought HC doesn't grow well without CO2 or anything?

I have it growing under one of the Ikea LED Lamps, and it grows but at a Snails Pace.

Gill said:
Luketendo said:
Also I thought HC doesn't grow well without CO2 or anything?

I have it growing under one of the Ikea LED Lamps, and it grows but at a Snails Pace.

Yeah, Ideally I would like to use CO2, unless there is a problem with using it on a small tank.

Looking goog luke

how is the TMC Micro Habitat tank? does it have any differences to the Dymax iq3 and the Betta nano cube?

in regards to your pruning tools, i got 12" scissors and tweezers from this place on ebay...from Hong Kong but uber cheap and took 1 week to get here.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-HK/Pl ... 34.c0.m322

Hows the scape? have u got any more pics?

Hey, wouldn't know differences between the different aquariums but I'm guessing that the LED light unit is different from the other two. As for the scape, it is now the same as the last pictures while I try and save up for the rest of the equipment I require.

photos :)

i'm interested in seeing one of these planted up. my free PFK one is currently still in the box and i'm considering turning it into a kitten drinking fountain with java moss. 8)

Back