• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changing times for UKAPS

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I'm pleased to let you all know that UKAPS is going through some changes - hopefully for the better.

In the short-term we've a new administrator, LondonDragon aka Paulo. Paulo kindly offered his services after JamesC made the decision to resign as administrator.

I'd like to publicly thank James for his tireless work on UKAPS since 2007, a job that has often been a thankless task. We wouldn't be the UKAPS we are now without his continuing work on the forum and main site, helping to keep us running despite the host of IT issues we've been dealt. Thank you sincerely, James.

Paulo has experience with administrating forums and I'm confident he will do an equally good job. A fresh set of eyes is often good thing and I'm sure will help to bring about positive changes to the forum and UKAPS as a whole.

In the mid to longer-term we've a host of new improvements that are ongoing on the main site.

Dan Crawford has been tirelessly working his socks off, developing a new-look main site with lots more features and wonderful design and imagery. They'll be more articles and it will be a better resource in general.

One of the most substantial changes is the addition of more featured aquascapes. We're always on the look out for new 'Featured Scapes' so please do continue posting photos of your tanks in your journals etc. and you may see work on the main UKAPS site.

We do have a few new articles being written but we'd love some more. If anyone would like to help out and see their article immortalised then please get in touch.

Finally, UKAPS belongs to you, the members. So if there are any improvements you’d like to see, or any ideas you wish to share then please let us know.

Very best wishes to you all,
George

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the opportunity, its going to be very difficult to fill James boots, the forum has always been maintained with a high level of professionalism and I hope I can maintain the smooth running when it comes to the technical side of things.

I am not looking into changing anything for the time being, just want to get a feel how things run before I make any suggestions, James has done a lot of work on the forum and it doesn't really need much done to it.

The guys are working hard on a revamp of the website has announced and I would welcome members to submit their thoughts and contributions.

@Luis: Many thanks

Well done to UKAPS in choosing Londondragon as the new "short term" administrator.

Congrats Paulo, looking forward to the `next generation` of UKAPS :)

:clap:

Cheers,

Change can be good, and I don't doubt this place will continue to grow and improve even more than it has with the new staff :)

All good, anything I can do it help? This is a comunist forum after all. :lol:

Many thanks guys :)

@Mark, yep first contribution, I just hate leaving the forum to watch videos, can't support them all but those two (youtube & vimeo) seem to be the most popular.

Another update. :)

We've decided to open the forums up to the public without them having to register.

This should allow UKAPS to help folk even more than it is doing so already and it will hopefully attract more positive attention and even more members in the longer-term. I know I'm put off a forum if I have to register to see the content, and I'm sure some of you are too...

Thanks to those for suggesting the idea!

Any others ideas, like I mentioned in the original post, please let us know. It's all about continual improvement! :thumbup:

This is such a great forum and has really helped me in the past in all aspects. A huge well done to all involved for promoting this great hobby! I was a coldwater plastic plant guy before i discovered UKAPS! :thumbup:

I would love to see separate sub forums for things like Nano's, Paludarium's, Pico's, Wabi Kusa's and perhaps more?!
In my opinion it would make referencing much easier for beginners... Like myself.

Just my 0.02p's worth :D

Keep up the great work and congrats to LD!

Dan Walter said:
I would love to see separate sub forums for things like Nano's, Paludarium's, Pico's, Wabi Kusa's and perhaps more?!
In my opinion it would make referencing much easier for beginners... Like myself.

I was thinking this too the other day after having a look through one of the american sites (not as good as UKAPS obviously :p ). I'm not sure if it would work so well on here as some of the more obscure categories would become stale from lack of people posting.

Technically you've already got 'Emersed Growing' for Paludariums and wabi kusa? Maybe it just needs 'paludariums and wabi kusa' added to the description?

I think too many sub forums would make it difficult to navigate. Maybe a 'nano and smaller' sub forum would be good though as the nano's have a good following in their own right, and most people with bigger tanks have one as a side project :)

Cheers,
Neil

PS Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Neil, I think in principle it's a good idea, but look how many journals that we actually have and are active. A nano forum or a "bigger" forum would undoubtedly be a very quiet forum indeed, I believe this topic has raised it's head before and the reply then was much as mine is now, I just don't think we'll be busy enough to warrant ocd level subforums. :lol:

Back