• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first but hopefully last casualty!

dannydee

Can someone please tell me why the Cryptocoryne wendtii has already melted away in my newly planted tank? It's a low tech system and I'm adding ferts daily. The tank has only been running since Wednesday and so far I haven't had any spikes. Everything else seems ok.

Dan

Dan

Could you please advise whether your crypt was semi aquatic or fully aquatic when you purchased the plant, if it was semi aquatic I.e plastic pot under the water and the leafs above water level. If it is semi aquatic - my thoughts are that the leafs are melting due the plant becoming full aquatic (completely submerged) - nothing to worry about, just remove the leafs that are melting, new leafs will soon appear.

Regards
paul.

Hi Paul,

I'm assuming that the crypts were fully aquatic. I ordered them online from Aquarium Gardening, they arrived without pots but with their roots in rock wool. They appeared in good condition and I planted them straight away.

It just surprised me how quickly they went from a healthy little plant to mush.

So you reckon that the leaves will grow back, once I remove the melted ones??

dannydee said:
Hi Paul,

I'm assuming that the crypts were fully aquatic. I ordered them online from Aquarium Gardening, they arrived without pots but with their roots in rock wool. They appeared in good condition and I planted them straight away.

It just surprised me how quickly they went from a healthy little plant to mush.

So you reckon that the leaves will grow back, once I remove the melted ones??

Dan

have you thought about send an email or call them to see whether they are semi or fully aqautic, TGM crypt's are semi aqautic and they are in good condition and huge - the leafs are not submerge in water and there is plenty of Co2 with the atmosphere for them to consume, when submerge there is limited co2 and the plants are relying on the co2 expelled from the fish and yes the leafs will grow back slowly.

Regards
paul.

i think i remember one of the experts saying crypts wont melt if you bombard them with high co2 if you have no fish Maybe an option

Hi Paul, danmil3s

I'll be contacting Aquarium Gardening today regarding the crypts. I'm adding liquid carbon to the tank, so hopefully they'll settle in soon enough.

Thanks for your help and advice,

Dan

dont throw the melted plants they often grow back from nothing, they like stable water conditions in my experance if you bump up your co2 injection then they wont melt. the plants dont seem to need loads of light but if they have loads they are still just as happy, they are prob my fav plant and 1 of my tanks is just a crypt jungle!!

As above, crypts often melt when moved to a new tank, sometimes even when moved to a new location in the same tank.

They will nearly always grow back nice and healthy even if it looks like most of the leaves have gone!

If you brake a bit of the mail root off an established plant it will grow a new plant, I have been doint this for ages and moveing the new plants into my other tank.

Back