• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where to buy plants now?

LondonDragon said:
Never had a problem with AquaFleur plants, more than one sponsor sell them. I have both AF and Tropica available at my local LFSs!
Sorry Paulo, I'm going mad recently, I ddin't register with what you said, which are the other Af sellers?

hahaha Did, that's the reason I started this thread. ;)
Ae don't have the plants I need, I should probably shoot them an email...

You could always try plantedtanks as suggested, however I have read mixed reviews, haven't brought any plants from them so I in no position to comment either way.

Yeah, I've read mixed reviews. I'm not really big on any of the far east and then send them on sorts of companies, you always feel you've been cheated.

Lol :) why you think you've been cheated? Do you feel the same when the postman brings you your post? Or when you buy a bag of spuds from the supermarket, or when you have to buy petrol from the garage? :) middle men exist, but in many cases they exist with huge advantage. Not always however.
Some online companies, in aquatics or elsewhere don't even handle their plants or goods and have them sent direct from their supplier. This does bug me, but only when I get inferior product. The best of them handle the product and post out themselves, so in the case of plants, they're inspected and treated. This is very important. Before dealing with any online retailer, I just call and ask such questions.
And some of the better ones have actually contacted me before delivery and said things like " I'm afraid the plant has arrived but isn't as large or isn't the one or isn't in a pot or something else. Then give me the option. I appreciate this kind of personal service.

More because when you buy pots you have a known quality associated with it. When you order a pot lets use Rotalla as an example, say you pay £4 and you get 25 usable stems. That's 16p a stem. Say you buy a bunch from somewhere else and pay £2.50 but only get 10 usable stems. That's 25p a stem... E. tennelus is another good example, I once did an entire foreground in a 60cm tank with 2 pots that cost £5 each. I later replanted it with lieanopsis I bought in bunches at £3 per bunch, I ended up needing to spend £36 to do the exact same portion. The other issue is transportation time, far east plants are almost never treated with the same reverence as their euro cousins, I took an order from Germany who sent over a refrigerated van especially to ensure the plants were the bees knees, A similar order I placed from Thailand ended up arriving as nothing but mush despite being in transit for only around a day more.
Middle men I don't particularly have an issue with, gotta make a living, but the quality/price/quantity issue of bunched or per stem plants is never as good as it seems to be.

Sadly plantedbox are not selling, but aquafleur are ace. However, after visiting aquajardin, I can only say their plants are awesome!

Mainly tropica, but exceptional health. There were plants from another company (cant remember the name) which were also great.

Maybe they sell online?....ring to check. I'm sure they'd accommodate you Garuf

Yeah, I miss PB. Sods law I'd waited all this time only for the shop to close it's doors so to speak.

I'll shoot AJ a phone call tomorrow and price up, I should ask Fluidsensor if they still do plants, they were always very reasonable. I'd have to put a special order in to AE to get all the plants I need as most of them aren't in stock.
Hurry up and remember the name I want to research. ;)

Hi all,
You could try Mike at the "Last Trading Post", he buy the plants for orders from the Far East, but he is expanding the "in-shop" planted side of the business with more holding tanks, and he can potentially get a wider range of plants than are listed.
cheers Darrel

Initial order via eBay but they also have a website:

http://www.theplanttank.co.uk/

I think they may be AF plants but not 100%, they're a Maidenhead Aquatics shop so far as the bags used to wrap the plants in suggested. Fixed delivery cost however much you order and they sent me a 10% off voucher for my next order on their website. Got some HC via eBay and it was pretty good, not as big as some Tropica pots I've had, but it was only £2.50 + carriage.

I just started with a planted tank just over a month ago. I've tried 3 different online retailers so far:

1. http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/
By far the best company, very friendly and the plants they sent out have been of the highest quality (Tropica). They also have a lot of ADA gear and good stock of most things you would need. I ordered several items from them including ADA lily pipes and pump, all delivered in perfect condition. Their website is easy to use and have images of all products. I spoke to (the owner?) Jim, great guy and very helpful!

2. https://aquarium-gardening.com/
I wasn't very happy about the plants I got, but it might be that they are for more advanced people. Just felt a bit disappointed. However I like the site because it gives you a very good overview of plants with information about each. They don't seem to have much gear though, for example only some weird looking CO2 non-gas system. It did feel like it was a home-based person.. rather than a company.

3. http://www.plantsalive.co.uk/
The owners are helpful and sorted out my order even when I changed it around several times. The plants delivered was in very good condition. I don't like the web site though, many of the products have no previews or photos, plus the information isn't always easy to read. Delivery might have been a bit slow, but could have been me a bit inpatient though.

TGM are far too expensive for my means as it stands, that's why I'm after aquafluer plants, preferably. I'd love tropica plants but the outlay for them means they're only worth getting if the species is unique to Tropica.

I've used plantsalive before, never again.

Garth

Have you got a Dobbies Garden Centre near by: they sell tropica plants and if you buy three of the same they are only £10.00, single plants £3.99 - bargin plants.

Regards
Paul.

Holy shhhhhhhh, that's good! I don't think I do, though I can soon trek to bridgemere while back home in January, I seem to remember them having a dobbies aquatics bit.

Ahh I see. The nearest one is too much of a trek away unless they deliver. I'm sure something will come up within my funds.

nry said:

I think they may be AF plants but not 100%, they're a Maidenhead Aquatics shop so far as the bags used to wrap the plants in suggested. Fixed delivery cost however much you order and they sent me a 10% off voucher for my next order on their website. Got some HC via eBay and it was pretty good, not as big as some Tropica pots I've had, but it was only £2.50 + carriage.

I just bought some HC from these guys also and its very good. Well impressed.

DHenry said:
nry said:

I just bought some HC from these guys also and its very good. Well impressed.

Not loads of choice, but many of the more popular plants and prices are excellent.

Back